Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: driving distance for puppy

I've had people drive cross-country to pick up a puppy (twice!). They were prepared with hotels and frequent stops along the way. It's worth the investment of two days of discomfort for a great dog who will be with you for 10-15 years! I would rather place a puppy with a family willing to go through the inconvenience than to place him/her in a home across the street that may not be willing to make the effort.

Over the lifetime of the dog, things just work a lot better if the the dog is near the breeder. And being a "prophet in your own land" is a far bigger compliment that being an "outside expert."

I suggest traveling with two 200 crates. That way if the puppy soils one, I suppose I should say when the puppy soils the first one, you can pop the puppy into the clean crate while you empty the contents of the soiled crate into a trash bag, set the crate up clean again and be on your way. I have a puppy road kit list that includes rubber gloves, spray cleaner, garbage bags, paper towels, water, and towels. I use towels in the crates and wash them when I get home. I always suggest over packing for a puppy pick up trip as I would rather have everything I need than be stuck on the side of the road with a mess I'm not prepared to deal with.

The small crates are very cheap. Sometimes I give them the crates and let them donate them to their local shelter on their end. I found them for $20 at Walmart on a few occasions.