Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sound like puppy strangles?? thoughts?

Wendy, Can you tell me if it is normal to have a few small pimples after the pred. has stopped, or would you put them back on it? Will the pup's immune system kick in and fight off the last of it, or should every last pimple be gone? Thanks for any help. Never been through this before and hope to _od never again.

always something
I took your advice and emailed Dr Dodds. She actually CALLED instead of emailing back. What a nice person she is. Anyway she said that with the pup being immunosuppressed by Prednisone, I do NOT want to vaccinate the other pups, with fear they could shed the parvo virus and infect my little man. His last dose was just shy of 8 weeks, she advised to wait for everyone's vaccines til 9 weeks.

Thats great. I knew she would respond quickly. great that she called you.

Prayers your pups keep improving on the meds and all will turn out fine.

In your case you know your pups had/have strangles, but my question is can a puppy just have a pimple? Three of the littermates have had a single pimple (whitehead) on their muzzle. It never progresses to a discharge and goes away on its own. Another popped up, but once again, never progresses. I really do not want to put these other littermates on Pred just for a single pimple!? I too was hoping that their immune system would kick in and just naturally fight it...

I wish a DVM/university would do some research on juvenile cellulitis and develop a protocol.

"common things happen commonly"... LOTS of puppies have juvenile/puppy pyoderma/staph... NOT a lot of puppies have strangles. I see a lot of individual puppies with a mild puppy staph and treat appropriately (sometimes that is benign neglect, sometimes a topical treatment, sometimes an oral antibiotic)... it depends a little on the overall health of the puppy, severity of the pyoderma, number of littermates involved, etc. Anyone who has had/seen strangles will tell you it is a *distinct* difference from the mild staph pyoderma that puppies frequently get.
As far as what happens when the pred stops... depends a little on the overall improvement, how long was the pred course, etc. I'm not sure I'd be stressed about one pustule... but I haven't seen your puppy.

They've been on the meds for 5- 6 weeks today and the boy has a late onset pimple on his lower eyelid and a few very small ones in the corner of his lip. One of the other girls has a few tiny pimples in her ears and some flushing and 2 very tiny pustules in the corner of her lip. They are due to be done this Friday with the meds. Would you keep them on and perhaps rev it up a bit and then decrease again shortly? I'm confuse because they all looked like it was clearing up for a good couple of weeks and them...bam, a few more pimples! Yuck, I HATE strangles.