Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC Affected

I have an 3 year old EIC affected dog who hasn't collapsed. My dog lives an active life (obedience, agility, swimming, etc) but does not do field work. I would like to know if there are others who have affecteds that have not collapsed and what age the dog is. Just curious and hopeful that my dog will never collapse. Thanks.

Re: EIC Affected

Hopefully you won't have to deal with it. I have an Affected who has worked harder in training and playing in our own yard, yet had a mild incident when we were at a friend's house on a hot day, he was about 18 months old, and it's never happened again since.

Yes, have an "affected" dog. Has NEVER had an EIC collapse, nor any other described symptoms. My dog is a show dog and runs hunt tests without issues.

We are co-owners on a EIC Affected Girl who I have worked Confirmation, Obedience, and Field Runs on in the Spring, Summer, Winter and Fall.. never had a collapse until about 3 weeks ago and that incident alone scared me to death. I was a non-believer of the collapse in her (and the test) until that day.. I have never felt so scared and helpless in all my life.

I truly hope your girl stays healthy and does not collapse for you.

Then be thankful and wait.

I have 2 girls, mother and daughter, mother first collapse at almost 6 years old. daughter first collapse around 4 years old.

For your piece of mind, I have an 11 year old that they say is EIC affected he is a champion, obedience and junior hunter titles and he has never shown any signs of collapse. At 9 he ran as a test dog

Can you describe your minor EIC episode? I know there must be degrees of collapse. What if you stop exercise/training before the actual collapse occurs? What kind of symptoms did you see? Thanks!

I have a 2 year old who just collapsed last week. It wasn't horrible and I recognized it right away as likely EIC. We rested for 10 - 15 minutes and then walked home (on lead) as if nothing had happened.

She has been active throughout her life and has never had a problem. This was a hot day and we are starting to do more retrieving than we ever have as I am finding the more we do, the more she loves it. Up until now, I have not worked her like I have worked other dogs in the past.

The other day, it was hot as I wrote but she was also more excited than I have ever seen. I had 2 of my dogs out and she was really working in a fun but competetive way to get the bumpers.

I will get her tested. I am going to carefully let her be active and will wait and see if this gets worse or hopefully may not happen again.

From what I have read in the past few days, just because they are affected does not mean they will have frequent or severe episodes. If they don't seem to have any episodes, that is a good thing but in no way indicates that the genetic tests are invalid. I am far from an expert and am new to this condition, but from what I can tell so far, we should all be testing our dogs. There is a lot to learn, especially for me but for scientists in general, but it seems to me that they already know key fundamental information that we should use.

We had an EIC affected dog that never collapsed even running along side a 4 wheeler until she was 4 years old, then she collapsed while throwing bumpers. EIC affected can live a normal life with a little precautions.

Good to learn and have this feed back. It is out there more than we think. Sorry, for the dogs that have to go through even one episode of this. We can test and avoid it in the future.

It has become clear to me over the past week or so that EIC is out there way more than we think. It is tricky because it seems that an affected dog can go its whole life without an episode. On the other hand, your seemingly healthy dog can one day have a seizure and die. Because of this contradiction, it is easy for us to either put our head in the sand or over react. There is a lot of clear information, including a good test, available for us to make balanced decisions with. Making reasoned and balanced decisions is what we all need to do.

That is great for those EIC affecteds that have not collapsed but give them the right scenario and trigger, they will. I know of more than one dog that is MH level, EIC affected and has never collapsed running hunt tests or training even. If you think about it, hunt tests are controlled. Yes, they are and so is training.

These MH dogs that I know of will and have collapsed every time running a rabbit. Think about it. This is not controlled and they run and zig zag for quite awhile.

EIC is out there heavily and it's real. The test is designed so we never produce another EIC affected.

At field training I was speaking with the owner of an OTCH MH Golden Retriever who is EIC Clear....and has had collapses when food is involved. These are experienced dog people who swear that these are true collapse episodes.

the dog is collapsing from something other, if the dog is truly EIC clear.

My EIC affected is 9yrs old. Has been working in the field for 4-5 years now. No episodes nor symptoms to lead me to think an EIC collapse would occur. This heat and humidity this year has been the worst ever and still no symptoms/collapse. Oh, and my dog does chase squirrel and rabbit, but this dog is not a beagle in the sense of running rabbit. Those beagles will run for miles and no sensible labrador of mine will run like that. For my dog, retirement from competition is only a short time away.

I can only hope as we learn about the more and more EIC Affected Dogs(whether they collapse or not) that are out there we are using this information to better the breed. As we all do I have surfed websites and still see breeders breeding EIC Carrier to Carrier or EIC Affected to Carrier. The idea is to take your knowledge and put it to work.

I know for me and my affected girl it is a matter of knowing I can only Breed her to EIC "Clear" which will result in a litter of EIC Carriers. When we run on the next generation we Breed that pup to a "Clear" and then in a matter of 2 Generations can erase the Affected from my program and that line.
I think we owe it to our breed.

Rabbit

They insist these are EIC collapses. Very experienced and highly knowledgable people. Go figure.

on the other hand
At field training I was speaking with the owner of an OTCH MH Golden Retriever who is EIC Clear....and has had collapses when food is involved. These are experienced dog people who swear that these are true collapse episodes.

Well, Goldens are NOT one of the breeds known to have EIC, so I would bet money that the collapses are due to another reason.

Experienced dog people or not, I think they are off base on this one.

on the other hand
Rabbit

They insist these are EIC collapses. Very experienced and highly knowledgable people. Go figure.

Maybe it's easier to blame EIC and fault the test than to admit epilepsy, heart problems (which ARE rampant in Goldens, no?)or whatever. Why would they have tested for EIC anyways? It's not known in Goldens.

on the other hand
Rabbit

in this coming from the "people" or from veterinarians?

not qualified
on the other hand
Rabbit

in this coming from the "people" or from veterinarians?

From the veterinarian. I really questioned it also, but they were insistent.

EIC When to test

I have a 6mo which one parent was clear, the other a carrier. When should I have her tested. I am assuming that she will not be affected, but want to make sure.

What are the signs of EIC?

Re: EIC When to test

If the parents were tested clear and carrier, your dog has a 50/50 chance of being either a clear or carrier. There would be 0% chance of being affected. I believe you can do the test at any time.

Wag the Dog (1)
It's not known in Goldens.

Unless there's been a new finding not yet announced, this info is correct: http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/home.html

They did add the Boykins just recently and made a special post to RTF announcing it.

Yes, that is correct you can test at any time as early at 2 weeks of age. I believe the information is on the Univ of Minn website.

You can send in dew claws, so that's pretty early