Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Panacur Granules

Breeder 1
I was wondering if there is someplace on line that sells the Panacur Granules in quanity as in a larger container to save on money when you worm alot of dogs and puppies ??

Or is buying the packets already measured out the only option ?

I've ordered the tub of Panacur via my vet. It comes with a measuring spoon inside which is very easy to figure out and use.

Well, that is cool your vet sells it to you. My vets where I live would charge me an arm and a leg for any meds . It's all about the Benjamins with them.

I'll call around to a couple online places and see if they sell it by the tub. We only have 4 adult dogs and my current litter but as you know with Panacur, you have to treat 3 consecutive days in a row so it adds up.

If anyone else knows of an online place I can order Panacur granules in the tub, please let me know where. Thank you !!

you may want to get Safe Guard. It's a liquid dewormer, same as Panacur. May really save you bucks and easier to find.

KVVet has the large container of granules for dogs. It does require a prescription. having used both I actually agreed with Wendy Ernst. I prefer the liquid for puppies and the dry granules for adults. the volume on the liquid is just so much that it gets messy.
http://www.kvsupply.com/KVVet/productr.asp?pf%5Fid=R26200&gift=False&HSLB=False&mscssid=00548F09A5F3E64E58ABCAD7A3BBEA1A

I just checked the dosage for the Panacur granules.....the one pound tub has a total of 96 teaspoons in it....the dosage is 1 level teaspoon for every 25 pounds. So one tub of Panacur would only do 9 or 10 dogs depending on their weights (if used for three consecutive days). The granules are easier to use but the 10% liquid (one liter) almost doubles the number of dogs you can do.

Thanks everyone. I typically do use the larger container of Safeguard but I am almost out and was thinking of trying the granules.

Linda- not entirely sure I agree... but it's late and this is off the top of my head. The other day I figured out that a 1 lb tub of the granules would treat approximately the same pounds of dog compared to the Safeguard liquid 1000ml bottle (I think the safeguard came out to cover approx one more dog)... the safeguard was less expensive (comparing online pricing for both). I did my math based on the Panacur label to measure one gram per 10lb of dog and 1lb = 454 grams. I know we often convert the gram to a tsp measurement- where did you get your numbers from? I'll look at the scoop that comes with the panacur tomorrow at work and see if I can get the same numbers you did.

I usually give Safegaurd for goats in the medium size bottle bought through Revival. I mix each dog's dose in some plain yogurt or if they seem to resist the plain yogurt, I add a little tuna fish to it and they gobble it right up. If I try and squirt that large amount for an 80 pound dog, they end up spraying it all over me and the floor. The pups are easier to give with a syringe.

Wendy....the directions (online) for the Panacur 22.2% granules was 1 teaspoon per 25 pounds and dosage for (online) liquid Safe Guard 10% (1 liter) was 1ml per 5 pounds. I did a search for how many teaspoons in a pound (dry matter) and it came out to be 96 teaspoons. If my math is right...the granules can only treat 10 dogs(75 pounds) for three consecutive days (with 6 tsp left over). With the SafeGuard you could treat 10 (75 pounds) using only 450 mls in three days and have enough to treat them again for another three days !! Please correct me if I am wrong ???

Hmmmm...where did you find the number 96? A teaspoon is a measure of volume and a pound is a measure of weight

In any case, there's an easier way to compare. The canine dosage for the granules is 1 mg per 10 pounds of body weight. There are 454 grams in the one pound tub, so it will treat a total of 4540 pounds - or around 1500 pounds of dogs for a three day treatment. It's nearly exactly the same number of doses as the liquid.

Too bad the granules are so much more expensive, because I agree they are easier for the big dogs.