Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Grain Free for Puppy

Innova EVO is grain free and suitable for all life stages. We've had great results with it here.

I start my pups on the Level 3 puppy food from Native, then at 4 months switch them to the level 2. They are doing great on it. No corn, soy or wheat. Chicken and lamb based. Lamb is the level 1 and great for dogs with allergies and sensitive tummies!!!

I am on my fourth litter raised on grain free and I love the even growth rates. 3 of the puppies are now adults and doing well. My senior dogs also improved when I switched from California Natural to Orijen. I switched the puppy from my last litter to the 6 Fish at 8 weeks but I usually keep them on the regular puppy, then change to adult around 8 months.

I have raised 4 litters on Orijen Puppy......no problems.....even growth...very happy with the food. I have heard that Petcurean Pet Nutrition has come out with a grain free food "Now" for puppies....the protein is 28....fats 18 and calcium 1.2....for those that are concerned about the high protein in grain free food....this food may be the answer. Petcurean is a Canadian company that has very high standards....all natural....no perservatives....fresh ingredients.....might be worth checking out.

Is it suggested that a pup be on adult food?

yes

Linda, do you use the orijen large breed puppy or just the regular puppy? I will have to check out the petcurean. From the website it says that one of the local stores carries it. I do love orijen & acanna though

Thanks for your information.

I used the regular Orijen puppy for the first 2 litters and the large breed puppy for the next two litters. Honestly..... I liked the regular puppy better......I only went with the large breed because of the (slight) difference in ca/phos levels.....thinking it would be better for the pups.

EVO is too hi in calcium for pups. The company will tell you this if you email them.

This is the response I got 3 years ago (maybe they have changed the calcium since but be sure and check)

"Dear pet lover,

Thank you for contacting us about our products. The EVO is NOT recommend
for large or giant breed puppies that will grow to be 75+ lbs at adult
weight. We recommend waiting until your pet is close to or at it's adult
weight to begin feeding the EVO. At about one year, your Labrador would be
ok to eat the EVO but the puppies should not have this. We recommend that
the puppies go on to the Innova Large breed puppy formula.

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact me if you
need any additional information or if you have any questions.

Veronica Moreno
Natura Pet Products
800-532-7261"

I feed the Orijen LBP - 2nd litter on it and all pups doing well.

Thank you everyone for the information!