Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Dew Claws

I do remove dew claws, and most field people do so, because dew claws do get torn and are very hard to heal. They can grow very long and curl back into the leg. I have never had a dog of my own with orthopedic problems that can be traced to dew law removal. In fact, I can't think of a dog I've owned or bred that had any orthopedic problem in the wrist area. My dogs typically live to be 13 or 14 and participate in hunting, hunt tests, obedience, and service. Believe me, they have no problem with holding objects to chew on them! I did purchase a dog with dew claws once and would do so again - it's not a deal breaker for me. But I have heard some first hand horror stories about injuries to dew claws.

Personally, I like them off too, and the fact many of mine go to hunting/performance homes that seem to have the same preference... so I still have them removed.

Have never had an issue w/ them being removed and I've got pups that do agility, etc. I surveyed other performance breeders a couple years ago after Chris Zinks opinion based article came out and no one saw the issues she was concerned about either. Mine can still hold their Souper sized Nylas just fine too. The last litter I had done, the vet even commented he'd rather have them removed as he'd seen too many hunting dogs rip them up to their elbows.

Emotional topic, however, so you just need to do what your gut tells you. If your pups are going primarily to pet homes vs hunting homes, your choice may be totally different than mine. Anne

I have removed them for over 25 years. Always have, always will. But you will have some of both opinions on here and you knew that. Does not cost that much and sure has never hurt a puppy.

Of course I knew that. What I didn't know is how many and WHY some do and some don't, from their own personal perspective. I'll put you down for "it's cheap and doesn't hurt." Thanks. ;)

Breeder 30
I have removed them for over 25 years. Always have, always will. But you will have some of both opinions on here and you knew that. Does not cost that much and sure has never hurt a puppy.

I would never chop off my dogs thumbs

Please read:
http://www.jandemellobordercollie.com/DewClaws.htm

Oh yes, the one article that states that removing dews is detrimental. Note that all these dogs had injuries and were therefore seeing the good Doctor. No one makes mention of the fact that she says that 'only rarely' does a dog suffer an acute injury, and when it did, it was one sheltie who misstepped. No one knows of these dogs histories, pedigrees, conditioning etc. Note the author says that injuries are 'more common' in dogs with dews removed. How much more common? 3 times? 8 times? 20 fold more common?

I don't buy it.

I also have another breed where dews are removed as normally as docking tails on cockers. In fact, its in the standard that dews should be removed.

I remove dews, I'll always remove dews until there is evidence based research, not random notes of conjecture.

I started out with all hunting and field dogs and lines. For ten years I removed dews, and have never once seen or heard of an injury from removing them from my litters. I got into show dogs 3 years ago, all of my purchased pups for show have dews. One of them has repeatedly injured her dew claw this year, from hunt test training. I bred my first show litter and did not remove them. I found out that a couple of these pups were taken in by their owners to get them surgically removed. Now I'm pretty sure I am back on board to get them removed, especially since I haven't seen them used much or benefit my dogs at all. It's a personal preference really.

I have always removed them. At 3 days it is not chopping off a toe. Please ! If you have to go back and do it later, yes, big expensive job. And pain. Think it is alot less pain than sticking that huge needle for a micro chip in that pups shoulder at 7 or 8 weeks. My pups at 3 day don't even cry. Maybe I have a really nice vet. Sorry it is cheap health benefit compared to all the other things we do.

I am too lazy to take the puppies in to have them removed. Use to do it all the time. None of my dogs have been better off with them on or removed in terms of showing, hunting or playing.

I have 18 dogs in my house and have 20 buried at the Humane Society cemetery and have raised I can't tell you how many and they all have dew claws removed by a vet. They have no problem turning while chasing a bumper, climbing on fences, tearing down things from the clothes line, running full speed ahead and turning without a problem. I have had no issues with infection, pastern problems or any problems and I had a 15 year old bitch who had two toes removed from a rear let and had no problem walking and the surgeon said that so long as the pad is there she is ok and was till 16. So we do them and will do them and hog wash on all of that. And they never lost a meal or sleep over having them done. Ellie Oh and they have no problem holding a bone or keeping it from another dog

Breeder too
At 3 days it is not chopping off a toe.

It is removing a digit.
I used to have my vet remove dews because of all of the reasons given above. Then I reconsidered after reading the reasons given by Dr. Chris Zink, in particular. Never regretted keeping the dews on. In fact the ONLY toe injury I have ever had on one of my dogs (40+ in all over the years of my own, and about 150 more who work in the field, etc with other people who bought puppies from me) was a middle toe which was torn badly....so maybe all those who claim having the potential of a torn dew claw warrants their removal as puppies should have all the toes removed.

Keep the nails trimmed if the dew claw is properly attached. If it is large, pendulous or floppy (I have never produced one of these, but know of some lines which do)...then I might consider removing it.

Re: Dew Claws-Just a Thought

If you remove them, you can send them in for an EIC test.
Personally, I do not remove mine. I believe "if it ain't broke...". Labs are such natural dogs! I do keep them trimmed regularly.

Does anybody have any history on how this proceedure started and became almost routine?