Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Synthetic grass by pet zoom

I have been using water, cleaning with a scrub brush, more water, spraying with Nature's miracle. and more water. LOTS of water. I also leave the mat out in the sun when I can. My litter of 10 puppies are using it, so that regime doesn't remove the attractive odors. Clorox might - dunno. I have two and change them twice a day or more. I will say that cleaning the mat is the thing I like LEAST about the system. I find it hard to remove the feces. If I were home all day to take them off as soon as they are produced, it would work better.

Just reread you message- yes I think the clorox treatment might be a good idea between litters. I put a piece of newspaper that had been peed on between the mat and the baffle for the first few days. I suspect that between litters the clorox smell would disappear and the dirty paper would make it attractive. Bonnie Anthony was the original poster. Maybe she will respond.

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=845753&cmd=show

Patty/Snowco
I can't remember who posted about this product originally and can't find the thread in a search.

Thank you both for your posts.

In the mean time I used Amway LOC (biodegradable) diluted to clean so I could bring the grass into the x-pen in the house for the first time.

Pups use it in the kennel mostly just to urinate.

I do like to use clorox for dissinfectant so like the idea of the urine soaked paper under neath for the next litter.

FYI, I called the company and ordered a 3 pack refill of the grass for $20. plus shipping.

This way one is cleaned hung to dry and you have a refill.

Also, I put the one I have (after cleaning and hosing off) in the washer on delicate spin to get rid of the excess water and it handled it well.

Having only one, coming from the kennel, cleaning and not having time to drip it dry to put in the house x-pen........

Patty:
I used the Pup Grass and then ordered the Pet Zoom for additional coverage... I have to say that I won't use either for my next litter... While I like the Pup grass much better, the odor does stay within the grass. I rinse thoroughly, use diluted bleach and rinse many more times, then hang to dry. My litters are 7 and 8 weeks old now and the grass is starting t o pull away from the interlock underneath. I duck taped the edges and they chew the tape off.
I never got to use the Pet Zoom. I actually threw it away. The grass was much longer and as soon as I put it in the puppy pen, they all were able to pull strands off of it. I duck taped those as well ( I bought 2 smaller ones) and the puppies went to the middle and were able to pull pieces off.. I would consider using the Pup grass for younger puppies, as it is a tighter weave and shorter grass. If I had the one litter of 5 I think it may have worked. They all went to it right away. Oh I did like the pee pads underneath to absorb the urine... Good luck!

Synthetic grass by pet zoom

Idea... any chance you could put a piece of St. Augustine grass instead of the plastic grass and just replace that ??? Is there enough space to put water at the bottom for the pee & the water? Kindda a hydroponic type thing??? Just a thought! ??

what is st. Augustine grass? not sure what you mean with the water. In the pan under the grass?

St Augustine is the grass in our front lawn in Texas, it's very hardy for dogs.

The thought was to put real grass (instead of fake grass) in a pan of dirt/water. Seems that it would be easier to keep clean and wash out? Just a thought.

real soil-free sod, Re: Synthetic grass by pet zoom

I have been intrigued by the idea of the soil-free Marathon Lite sod sold by dog. com for pups and small dogs. It seems to grow in a hydroponic mat.
http://www.dog.com/item/pet-a-potty-marathon-lite-sod/102231/
The one time I wanted to use it, they were out of it.
I think that you could order several, and the pups would be trained to real grass. No soil, so no dirt, no worries of heavy metals, unless there is more to hydroponic style grass than I know. I would tend to want to rinse it and let it dry before first use.