Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: EIC Tests

get the facts
Those are the two research sources with the best (or only) set of facts. Peggy was really helpful with her synopsis of the research paper, but I would recommend you read it sometime (it is a bit data dense) as you may glean something useful for yourself from it.

Indeed, I have read "the" research article to which I presume you refer. AND I have read research supporting the approach used to identify the gene in the article, the research identifying dynamin 1 in fruit flies, and research about variable expressivity and incomplete penetrance (which may explain why not all dogs who test positive for the gene collapse or have severe episodes). I've also spoken to Katie about the continuing data collection after the publication of the research.

No one should be convinced that they know it all and speak down to others who know less. All research exists in a context of earlier research and continuing into the future. The more I know; the more humble I become about what is known and what is yet to be known. I may be farther down the road of scientific discovery than others, but I am most definitely behind others.

From U of MN:

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/taylor2008/home.html#heat

DIFFERENTIATING EIC FROM HEAT STROKE

There have been a number of good veterinary reviews of heat stroke in dogs recently and the syndrome we are seeing with EIC is very different. With heat stroke - induced collapse in dogs you expect to see a very slow or prolonged recovery that can take hours to days, or else progression to death. Laboratory evaluation reveals a dramatic increase in muscle enzymes (CK usually 7-11X normal). Mentation changes that are severe, progressive and persistent (for hours to days) occur in 80% of affected dogs and significant endothelial injury leads to microvascular thrombosis, DIC, thrombocytopenia and bleeding as well as acute renal failure in most patients. In contrast, dogs with EIC collapse without showing laboratory abnormalities and they recover quickly - happy and running around within 5 to 25 minutes.

And here is a key sign to look for in a true EIC collapse:

http://www.vdl.umn.edu/ourservices/canineneuromuscular/eic/taylor2008/home.html#eval

ervous system examination is normal at rest, but patellar reflexes are diminished or absent in dogs with EIC during collapse and these do not reappear until after the dog has completely recovered, which usually takes 10 to 30 minutes.

Scientist, Wonderfully expressed thoughts ...

I have learned so much in the past week or so. Thank you to those who have contributed to all of our evolving understanding of this issue.

I found a relatively recent thread on EIC where Jill questioned the accuracy of the test (DDC or Univ of Minn) based on the fact that some affected dogs do not seizure, and some who tested clear or as carriers do. The resulting discussion was fantastic and is the bottom line I think.

Full disclosure, I am the original poster. I used "New to This" on another thread. Both are accurate names.

"No one should be convinced that they know it all and speak down to others who know less."

Thanks for the great example of doing just that

new to this
Scientist, Wonderfully expressed thoughts ...
I found a relatively recent thread on EIC where Jill questioned the accuracy of the test (DDC or Univ of Minn) based on the fact that some affected dogs do not seizure, and some who tested clear or as carriers do. The resulting discussion was fantastic and is the bottom line I think.

I would caution us all not to refer to EIC episodes as "seizures" unless you are trying to equate seizure disorders with EIC. While it may sound picky to some, using the proper terminology in medical situations is vital to the clarity of the discussion, and future discussions.

That about the reflex is interesting. How does one test for patellar reflexes in a dog, the same as in a human, by striking the knee? I've seen only one collapse that might have been EIC, and it was many years before the condition was generally known, but it would be useful to have a good test to use in case I see another possible EIC collapse. If no one knows, I'll ask my vet the next time I see him.

peggy Stevens
That about the reflex is interesting. How does one test for patellar reflexes in a dog, the same as in a human, by striking the knee? I've seen only one collapse that might have been EIC, and it was many years before the condition was generally known, but it would be useful to have a good test to use in case I see another possible EIC collapse. If no one knows, I'll ask my vet the next time I see him.

Here's a video of how it's done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqlvfBDloXw

Thanks for the link! The videos were very interesting.

Just a small suggestion: When giving a website address, it is really easy to make it a direct link (rather than a copy and paste). When you are composing a post, there is a link directly above the input box that says "bb code". It inserts a list of easy codes you can use for adding things to your post. If you use the url code, the web address becomes a link to the page. I notice that only a few people use this and it is a real time saver for the readers.