Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: heartbroken and in need of guidance......long

I had someone place a puppy that was supposed to be returned to me because who knows why? She was an idiot. Then, I heard (luckily) from another breeder friend that she had asked about another dog, not realizing the value of a grapevine. Let's just say I made darned sure she would never get another puppy from anyone I knew, and I named her by name. And then I called her up and told her what I had done. Don't give any money to these idiots, it would just be wasted. They probably don't have any idea what happened to the dog. If anything, they owe YOU money. I am sure you have placed many dogs successfully. You can't control others' behaviors, you can only do the best you can.

I understand what you are going thru..
15 years ago something similar happened to me-I placed a puppy who had recovered from a severe bout of strangles. I placed him at no charge to a family we knew because I was unsure of what damage the prednisone had done and, he had scars on his face.
He was fine the first year-great dog-no complaints.
At 1 year 6 mos I checked in again to find out he was "gone" (this was after no responses from them for about 3 mos)..They claimed he has started peeing in the house and was not listening to commands so they sent him out to a trainer. Story goes that the trainer left the front door opened and he ran away.
I was SICK. I had put so much time and money into getting him well (took 4 mos)..they had visited my home throughout his illness to be with him and promised if ANYTHING wasn't right he would come back to me.
I asked for the trainers info but "they didn't remember" I searched everywhere for him but to no avail...
I have never stopped wondering what his life was after that. When I see the commercials for dogs in shelters I wonder-could that have been his ending? Did he get hit by a car-did someone else pick him up-was the story even true.
No matter how much you think you know people-you don't. I just prayed for him. I knew he was a gift from God and I prayed that God would watch over him and if it was the case-bring him back home to Him.
I'm sorry for you-it is out of your hands-put your baby in the hands of the one who gave him life to begin with. That is the only way you will find peace.

Sorry to hear about your boy.

While I've never had such a thing happen to me, I wanted to offer that you might want to call the microchip company, and see if the new owners had registered the chip to his new address.

A breeder friend placed a dog with a family she wasn't sure about. Felt horrible afterwards.

Later, I saw the dog at obedience class, getting much loved on and was well behaved. I made sure to ask where he came from, as nice Labs aren't a real common sight around here.

This was enough for my friend to have a bit of piece of mind.

I wish the same for you.

To Understand: your story made me cry again. I'm so sorry you had to go through this too.
we do try our best and most of the time things go as we would like. I have had so many wonderful families over the years and many have come back 2 and 3 times for another dog.

This is just that one I can't let go of. This dog was not just any of our show prospects, he was special and was actually my pet for 2 years. Not that any dog is more important than another, just this one I had a closer relationship with than average. He wormed his way into my heart long ago.
I thought I was doing what was best for him.

Awful stuff, I will do that with the microchip company, good idea.
Thank you.

hello from finland, i do feel very sad for the experience of you. hugs.
i would if i would be there, contact the area shelters and tell the story and the chip number if they had any news...maybe he is in a nice forever home and all could end well, instead of lifelong pondering what happened.
with best wishes.
ritva and her labs