Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: hip xrays

These look like ones I just sent in, came back mild, the poll results were 2 milds and 1 fair. She is sound as can be, and the first set of finals had the same result. I did Penn Hips too and she came back low, so I'm going to place her.

I don't think they look that bad. There is no remodeling and the coverage is decent. I'd be surprised if they don't pass. Keep us posted.

Just wanted to THANK the OP for sharing xray views- as someone try to learn, I really appreciated the opportunity to see an xray and read responses from folks with experience. Best of luck with this 2yr old!

Oh, how I like looking at XRays...

Right is fine, but Left is mild or fair for sure. The only concern I would have with the right hip, is you see that there is a little sharp edge on the femoral head of the bone, I would be a little concerned with that, or at least keep an eye on its progress

Perfect positioning!

PennHIP user
I don't think they look that bad. There is no remodeling and the coverage is decent. I'd be surprised if they don't pass. Keep us posted.

Yes, please post an update.

To Deja Vue Too! - My Mild's xrays looked better than a Fair I received on another bitch a little over a year ago. Those ratings were 2 Fairs and a Mild. Go figure. Both bitches are very sound and move without a problem.

My Mild was prelim'd as a Good 10 months earlier, and coverage was great. Go figure. Same radiologist, a highly respected one. We reshot the films several times that day just to make sure.

Thanks for all the posts. This boy came back fair. Very disheartening, I had such high hopes for him. Not lame a day in his life, and doing fairly well in the ring too! The vet who took them told me he would pass, but not sure what level. She did say not excellent though. I actually work at the hospital they were taken at, and the vet is not an ortho vet.

Now I must decide if I continue to show him or not. He is my only dog, and for my own personal reasons I would like to try and finish him.

Op wrote: " Now I must decide if I continue to show him or not. He is my only dog, and for my own personal reasons I would like to try and finish him."

Then if you are both enjoying the show life, show him. The question is not really whether to show him or not, but whether to breed or not breed, and how to use him, if at all. He passed OFA clearance. That being said, I do think that the board sitting on OFA this past June is/was unusually hard, as my dogs in two breeds were all a score lower than I expected. You could also PennHip him and do some pedigree research on relatives. I am still considering my own options, and may increase exercise and do follow up films on my fair girl. As she comes from a good hip line, she could be bred carefully and we all do well. I do want to see follow ups to be sure.
Again, enjoy your shows! The hips are only one clearance out of many that we seem to need to do these days.

On better news his elbows passed, no problems!

Need honest opinions on these hips
On better news his elbows passed, no problems!

That's great! He passed his hips too! Don't give up yet. Did you ask what his 3 grades were?

All 3 grades were fair.

All 3 grades were fair.

Geez you sound as if this is the be all end all for your dog. Fair is still NORMAL! It irks me to no end how some breeders treat fair as if it's the kiss of death. It is NOT. Does your dog also have eye/Optigen, EIC, CMN, TVD, etc clearances? Sheesh I know a lot of people whose dogs don't pass kill for a fair. People who don't think fairs should be bred are the same people who don't think chocolates should carry yellow. These are dogs people-there are NO perfect dogs.

Don`t let the fair scare you, My old boy Vinny is a fair and had very few kids that did not pass OFA. Which any stud that produces litters will have some that don`t clear, its all a numbers game. The old boy at over 13 is still sounder than ANY 13 year old dog I`ve ever seen. A fair is passing and I`d use a fair any day of the week if he`s the stud I wanted for my girl

No he doesn't have any other clearances yet. I will be taking him very soon for Cerf. I will do all other clearances as well in time. Don't get me wrong I'm happy he passed, just wished it was a better pass.
As I stated before he is my only show dog, and for personal reasons, not to stud him out, I want to finish him. Not to say breeding is not something down the road that could be an option, just not my main goal. Not to mention he is a very important member of my family, so I want only the best for him. For many reasons I love him to pieces, and he is in his forever home no matter what! I'm going to lay this too rest tonight and move on to the next clearance. Thanks for all replies!

No he doesn't have any other clearances yet. I will be taking him very soon for Cerf. I will do all other clearances as well in time. Don't get me wrong I'm happy he passed, just wished it was a better pass.
As I stated before he is my only show dog, and for personal reasons, not to stud him out, I want to finish him. Not to say breeding is not something down the road that could be an option, just not my main goal. Not to mention he is a very important member of my family, so I want only the best for him. For many reasons I love him to pieces, and he is in his forever home no matter what! I'm going to lay this too rest tonight and move on to the next clearance. Thanks for all replies!

And honestly OP, whether or not he does get all his other clearances or anyone ever uses him at stud, he is your boy and you have every right to show him and finish him if he's good enough. There are dogs out there that have all their clearances, OFA excellent that I would never breed to. It's like a recent about clearances just being a tool. There are so many other ingredients that go into the mix that determines whether or not I'd want to use a particular dog.

Good luck with your boy

I don't understand. HE IS OFA CERTIFIED. No, not the best hips, but he is free of hip dysplasia. Show him all you want and you can breed him too. just go with girls with good or exc. hips.

I understand. Maybe the OP wants to improve the hips of Labs. According to an OFA website chart, breeding two Fairs produces more dysplastic dogs than breeding two dysplastic dogs.

Fair IS passing and I would not hesitate to use if it was the right dog for my bitch. That being said...there are pedigrees that I would not touch a Fair from...or a good for that matter. I think it is important to look at the big picture...ie the pedigree behind the dog...how that pedigree has produced from a soundness standpoint? What were the scores of this dog's littermates, etc. I would not just one individual's scores.

Please post a link to that chart, I couldn't find it.
Under Breeder Guidelines, OFA clearly states:
"Do not ignore the dog with a fair hip evaluation. The dog is still within normal limits. For example; a dog with fair hips but with a strong hip background and over 75% of its brothers and sisters being normal is a good breeding prospect."

I am very dismayed by the rating "snobs" who equate a passing hip as if it were defective. If you removed all of the Labs with fair ratings over the last 20 years from the gene pool, the chocolate lovers would really be upset. It means that Banner's Apple Butter would never have produced her three litters, which included EPOCH'S EDWARD OF BONAVENTURE and EPOCH'S OREO COOKIE. Without these two, we wouldn't have the lovely specialty winner EPOCHS BROWN BAGGIN and many (many) of the important chocolate producers of the last decade sired by Edward.

I hate to harp on the same subject over and over, but hip ratings are TOOLS. Tossing fair hips from the breeding pool truly fits the baby and bathwater analogy.

"Dont throw the baby out with the bath water" The hips are decent...not the best but still decent. You cant just breed for hips!

Lets don't start naming names. All three colors have great dogs that have had Fair in the pedigee and produced great winning get. Fair is pass. I will not over look a fair to breed if it has what I want from a dog. I do look at family history.

Point taken. If we removed the 16,725 Labs with OFA fair hips in the last 20 years from our gene pool, the breed would be the poorer for it - regardless of color or sport preference.

Your dog's hips passed. Who cares if they are fair or not?

The excellent bitch I have now came from my stud whose hips are good and his dam's hips were fair. She was bred three times and all of the pups who were tested came back good. Not a single puppy had a hip problem.

If you are enjoying your boy, don't worry about this rating (which is still passing by the way).

I would use a dog with fair hips on one of my girls in a heartbeat if he were the right match for my girl.

I had a girl with a Fair rating, bred her to a Good and out of the 3 offspring that have been xrayed, they all came back Excellent. Fair is a passing rating!!

One of my girls came back fair.
My vet assured me fair was passing.
Bred her to two studs who were good or excellent. Last litter 8 years ago.
Of those who have kept in touch, all pups are fine. Those who were x-rayed ( i think 8 ) are rated excellent hips

Yep!
Fair IS passing and I would not hesitate to use if it was the right dog for my bitch. That being said...there are pedigrees that I would not touch a Fair from...or a good for that matter. I think it is important to look at the big picture...ie the pedigree behind the dog...how that pedigree has produced from a soundness standpoint? What were the scores of this dog's littermates, etc. I would not just one individual's scores.

I feel the same as you. Just as important as the dog's rating would be the ratings within the pedigree going back as many generations as possible.

An Excellent or Good without sire and dam or grand sire and grand dam, siblings and other family member ratings is useless, to me anyway. I would rather have a Fair rating *which is a Pass* that has nice ratings within the pedigree going back many generations including a couple of siblings, than an Excellent with little behind or around it.

Consistency and soundness of health in the pedigree are the key, not one single rating of a passing Fair.

I support the OP about OFA Fair. Fair is not good enough for me. I do not use a male, regardless of how good his other characteristics, with an OFA Fair. There are lots of other good males who have better hips. For my taste OFA passes far too many dogs to substantially improve the hips of Labs.