Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: White undercoat hairs on tail only

it's very normal. You shouldn't be able to see it unless you look hard, when her top coat grows in.

New to Chocolates
I have a lovely new chocolate girl that is 16 weeks old. I just noticed she has a ring of pure white undercoat hairs in the center of her tail. It is about 2cm wide and goes all the way around the tail like a ring. She has a nice coat so top hairs mostly cover it unless you look very closely. Has anyone ever had something like this? I am wondering about possible injury like other pup biting too hard or something? If it stays can I show her - it's very difficult to detect.

I was nervous the 1st time I saw the same thing on my 1st chocolate. It was a ring about 1/3 the way from the base of the tail.

Eventually, it disappeared but it's a common occurence. Others can explain it better but I found my chocolate had a remarkably heavy coat which reminds me of dogs with Bolo marks.

You have nothing to worry about according to my knowledge.

Thanks so much, Long Time Chocolate Mom and Common! We are quite smitten with this little chocolate and were worried. I've decided they're called chocolate not only for their color but also for their sweetness:)

New to Chocolates
Thanks so much, Long Time Chocolate Mom and Common! We are quite smitten with this little chocolate and were worried. I've decided they're called chocolate not only for their color but also for their sweetness:)

I so agree with you. Some breeders claim chocolates are wild and crazy. I have found all of my chocolates to be the reverse, my very easiest labradors. I'm sure color has nothing to do with it, it's different breeding lines.

Field labs that are chocolate might be more hyper just because they're field labbies. Several vets have made comments how calm and sweet my chocolates are and how surprised they are. I don't understand how a medical person can say that.

So be prepared for stupid comments. As for the ring on the tail, it's normal and there is a reason for it that I don't recall.

I hope you have much fun with your new chocolate pup.

Very normal, means a good coat. It will go away. This is about the time you see it. Don't worry enjoy that new chocolate. I have had many over the years from just a ring to more like a half inch ring, all white. It is a shocker the first time you notice it.
Promise, it will go away.

Usually its an indication that the dog is pure for chocolate. I have 2 sisters that are chocolate. They are both pure for chocolate. One sister never lost the ring on the tail and the other sister did. They are 5 years old now, and they both have great coats.

I've never heard that it meant pure for chocolate. But it does mean that you will have a good coat. Funny thing that I a "newbie" at the time had to explain this same thing to a breeder of chocolate for many years. She too though something was wrong with her dog. Enjoy your little girl. She sounds like a cutie. I find my chocolates to be the smarter ones in my group.

I have a yellow bitch who has this white undercoat hairs in the middle of her tail just as the chocolate you described. I had never seen this before and she did not have this when she was younger.

This is suppose to indicate a good coat, and has followed true on my chocolates with the white ring on tail.

Breeder 30
Very normal, means a good coat. It will go away. This is about the time you see it. Don't worry enjoy that new chocolate. I have had many over the years from just a ring to more like a half inch ring, all white. It is a shocker the first time you notice it.
Promise, it will go away.

On mine, it doesn't go away, but you can't see it unless you are really looking for it. When my chocolate girls shed, if I pull out fur by their shoulders, it is tipped in white also. Many of mine are not pure for chocolate, and still have "the ring". I do have lovely coats on most of my chocolates with this. I do have one nutty girl, but most of my chocolates are kind dogs, and maybe a bit dramatic and starving all of the time!

There is nothing wrong w/ your chocolate having white at the base of the hair. Some blacks will have this as well as yellows, you just can't see it in the yellows.
When you have a dog that is shedding out its coat you will be able to see it on the dark dogs but other wise it will be hidden. Mary Roslin Williams said in her book "Advanced Labrador Breeding" something like the best coat has white at the base of the hair.

So no worries with your dog.

me
Usually its an indication that the dog is pure for chocolate.

What does that mean?

That the dog does not carry yellow. I think.

me
Usually its an indication that the dog is pure for chocolate. I have 2 sisters that are chocolate. They are both pure for chocolate. One sister never lost the ring on the tail and the other sister did. They are 5 years old now, and they both have great coats.

My first chocolate had exactly this as I said and she was not pure for chocolate. I did not do DNA, no yellow in the pedigree for 5 generations and I *assumed*. When she had yellows arriving bred to a Byc I found out. Not one pup with NBP, if anything olive black pigment early on.

A Fan
I've never heard that it meant pure for chocolate. But it does mean that you will have a good coat. Funny thing that I a "newbie" at the time had to explain this same thing to a breeder of chocolate for many years. She too though something was wrong with her dog. Enjoy your little girl. She sounds like a cutie. I find my chocolates to be the smarter ones in my group.

I also haven't heard it can mean pure for chocolate and some of my chocolates are & were Cy, some Cc. Almost all had the white coat hair tail circle. The first was the most pronounced as the adult coat was. It was better coat then any of my blacks or yellows had at that time. My chocolates all do and did have great coat and I've been lucky with coats. I've always noticed loads of super-thick undercoat in the ones with the tail ring especially.

I wonder if some of the best known chocolate breeders have seen the same.

Did dogs such as Baker, Dauber or Coffee have these tail rings as pups and what about their get? Dauber has a phantastico coat, Laura R. If you're reading this can you tell us if he had this too?

Bonnie Hall
Mary Roslin Williams said in her book "Advanced Labrador Breeding" something like the best coat has white at the base of the hair.

Bonnie, that must be what I read b/c I re-read that book many times. I couldn't recall if that's where i read it and if MRW said it. I didn't want to quote her unless 100% sure. Thanks for helping me recall.

OP, I am glad you asked about it. It began a nice breeder topic besides *Results for ABC_XYZ Show wanted right now* about an hour after the show began Roflmbo.

I have seen white tail rings on many choc field dogs, and they had poor coats. No undercoat. I don't think it's indicative of anything; it's just a color anomaly.

My blacks have the white hairs too and Bolo pads.

Wag the Dog (1)
I have seen white tail rings on many choc field dogs, and they had poor coats. No undercoat. I don't think it's indicative of anything; it's just a color anomaly.

First I ever heard of field dogs having the white ring but I'm not involved with field labs . I've seen a few in my lifetime at hunt tests but not as pups that age.

In 3 generations of my chocolates I've only seen it when they have great adult coats. I guess it's only my dogs and it's a fluke.

Common
Wag the Dog (1)

First I ever heard of field dogs having the white ring but I'm not involved with field labs . I've seen a few in my lifetime at hunt tests but not as pups that age.

In 3 generations of my chocolates I've only seen it when they have great adult coats. I guess it's only my dogs and it's a fluke.

I'm a 3rd generation Labrador person. Although I have conformation lines now, I grew up knowing field lines and dogs. I owned a choc bitch who had the ring of white hairs - actually, the base of the hairs are white in the rings I've seen - the tips were colored - who when bred to a yellow had a black litter, several of these black pups had the same white ring when they were adults. So not only is it not exclusive to chocolates in my experience, it isn't indicative of a good coat; neither this bitch nor her offspring had a good, proper Labrador coat - as compared to the coat conformation dogs have. Their coats were field dog coats - slick, short, and not enough undercoat as compared to conformation dogs with good coats.

These weren't the only dogs I've seen the white ring on; I think the good coat theory is just an old wives tale. Maybe it was concocted to allay embarrassment when people saw it and commented on it. Just like what my grandad used to say - "If the dog's roof of it's mouth is black, it's a purebred." An old wives "tail", I should say.

In my chocolates that I own. My Cy bitch does not have the white ring. The chocolates that i kept from her are all pure for chocolate, Have the ring and all have good coats.

So i guess its just something that we tell our selves that is a good indication of something great when we have high expectations???

Wag the Dog (1)
I think the good coat theory is just an old wives tale. Maybe it was concocted to allay embarrassment when people saw it and commented on it. Just like what my grandad used to say - "If the dog's roof of it's mouth is black, it's a purebred." An old wives "tail", I should say.

I agree. I had a black field dog with a slick coat that had this ring. It's something that's said to make you feel better.