Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: hip xrays

Lets don't start naming names. All three colors have great dogs that have had Fair in the pedigee and produced great winning get. Fair is pass. I will not over look a fair to breed if it has what I want from a dog. I do look at family history.

Point taken. If we removed the 16,725 Labs with OFA fair hips in the last 20 years from our gene pool, the breed would be the poorer for it - regardless of color or sport preference.

Your dog's hips passed. Who cares if they are fair or not?

The excellent bitch I have now came from my stud whose hips are good and his dam's hips were fair. She was bred three times and all of the pups who were tested came back good. Not a single puppy had a hip problem.

If you are enjoying your boy, don't worry about this rating (which is still passing by the way).

I would use a dog with fair hips on one of my girls in a heartbeat if he were the right match for my girl.

I had a girl with a Fair rating, bred her to a Good and out of the 3 offspring that have been xrayed, they all came back Excellent. Fair is a passing rating!!

One of my girls came back fair.
My vet assured me fair was passing.
Bred her to two studs who were good or excellent. Last litter 8 years ago.
Of those who have kept in touch, all pups are fine. Those who were x-rayed ( i think 8 ) are rated excellent hips