Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Strangles Again

I didn't use anything but warm water on a clean cloth to scrub the face daily. Even when it appears to be cleared up and the meds are finished you need to continue this.

After the puppy is finished the meds you'll find his growth upwards will take care of the heaviness you're seeing now. My strangles puppy doesn't look much different from the puppy I kept for myself now.

My puppy was on Pred for quite some time but was only on antibiotics for the first few weeks.

Would you keep a strangles puppy for showing and breeding? What about a very lightly affected puppy...no spots other than a few inside ears and one or two on lip? Does it matter if it was a mild case as opposed to a classic case? Is it too risky to breed a puppy that had it?

I would absolutely keep a strangles puppy. I did, and my boy is now finished and more than halfway to his GCH. The Pyoben was from the vet. Aveeno you can get at the drug store. It is the colloidal oatmeal for a bath. Samson was longer on the pred than the antibiotics also. I have noticed that a couple of the scarred lesions will act up so I keep him on L-Lysine when travelling and showing heavily.

Debbie

Thank you for the replies.

OP would you email me privately with the specifics on your treatment protocol?