Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: How good are ya?

Blackie is a definite fail. Moderate to severe.

Of course the rating will always depend on who is on the panel at the time of the reading, but looking at those, I would say at least a good. May be a little wedging, but certainly a nice set of hips.

My Guess

I'm not a vet but it looks like a Fair to me which as stated repeatedly is a pass. I could be wrong but I don't see as bad of a film as you do.

Ps As posted before, this site is extremely helpful, around for years.

http://leerburg.com/hipart.htm

Fair
My Guess

I'm not a vet but it looks like a Fair to me which as stated repeatedly is a pass. I could be wrong but I don't see as bad of a film as you do.

Oh my I would not say that Blackie is a Fair... he much worse than that... but that's just my opinion!!

Fair
My Guess

I'd be surprised if they passed. There is very little coverage there.

I, myself, do PennHip but I would say Blackie is moderately to severely dysplastic.

So here's another one with terrible positioning... what's your thought about these one? Could better positioning have made the hips look better.. than I mean much better?
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/Draumalands/Hip%20x-rayes/hips.jpg

I don't know how much positioning would change the sockets but I find them shallow. The heads are floating out, one way out and the other head has the beginning of flattening appearing. Does the certifying body over there send plates back to vet clinic if they feel positioning is bad?

Kim/Pirate
I don't know how much positioning would change the sockets but I find them shallow. The heads are floating out, one way out and the other head has the beginning of flattening appearing. Does the certifying body over there send plates back to vet clinic if they feel positioning is bad?

Most of the time they do... sometimes they don't how ever... this dog got the worst score or 'E'... The lady who owned this dog was going to redo the x-ray in 6 months after they where taken but didn't... This dog had awesome movements and very sound... it's hard to believe though by these x-rays. From where I come from we where only able to use one place to send our x-rays for scoring but now that's changed and now we are able to send our pics to OFA as well. I will most likely send my x-rays in the future to the OFA for scoring.
It would be great if some other would send in x-rays for us to see

Positioning killed these hips. Yes, positioning would definitely change the way these hips look. Face it, poor positioning can fail your excellent dog! Shame on OFA for even accepting to look at films like these! Don't they after all have a little picture of correct positioning on the 2nd page of their application? The fact is that they accept poor films all the time because it is easier to fail the dog and have the owner pay a resubmission fee. I have no faith or respect for OFA WHATSOEVER!

Kim
Positioning killed these hips. Yes, positioning would definitely change the way these hips look. Face it, poor positioning can fail your excellent dog! Shame on OFA for even accepting to look at films like these! Don't they after all have a little picture of correct positioning on the 2nd page of their application? The fact is that they accept poor films all the time because it is easier to fail the dog and have the owner pay a resubmission fee. I have no faith or respect for OFA WHATSOEVER!

So where do you send your x-rays for scoring? The last x-rays weren't sent to OFA for scoring...

This is why I always look at my x-ray pics before I send them to be scored! If I don't like the positioning of the dog I won't send them and will do another one!

Kim

My feelings on the hip positioning also.....it would be very interesting to have proper films taken and submitted on the same dog and then let us know how the grading turned out.
I'm really enjoying looking at the submissions presented here! Thanks for the great thread!

Yes, this is a great teaching thread! Did I miss what Blackie's OFA ratings really were?

I didn't think OFA was the body who graded these dogs hips-did I miss something(a piece of the thread)?
I was under the assumption these were taken in Europe and sent in for grading there.
I've seen worse positioning on plates here in North America myself with passes and fails.

Hips?
So here's another one with terrible positioning... what's your thought about these one? Could better positioning have made the hips look better.. than I mean much better?
http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/Draumalands/Hip%20x-rayes/hips.jpg

These hips are scary bad and I don't think positioning would help a wit.

Kim/Pirate
I didn't think OFA was the body who graded these dogs hips-did I miss something(a piece of the thread)?
I was under the assumption these were taken in Europe and sent in for grading there.
I've seen worse positioning on plates here in North America myself with passes and fails.

No you didn't miss anything... these hips where graded in Europe ;)

This has been an educational thread. Thanks for sharing.

Breeder 14
Yes, this is a great teaching thread! Did I miss what Blackie's OFA ratings really were?

Sorry was away for a few days. Blackie's hips were rated as "severe". Kudos to those who saw this. He is a young dog, so these were prelims. He is a very sound dog. Will probably reshoot at 2 years just to see what we are looking at.

Excellent thread.

Hips?
Fair
My Guess

Oh my I would not say that Blackie is a Fair... he much worse than that... but that's just my opinion!!

As I said, I'm not a vet. Some of us with more dogs that have been rated than others can be better at reading radiographs. It's not my forte and I took a guess. Oh my, I'm sorry I don't know as much as you do Hildur.

A breeder friend or mentor would attempt to teach the guessing breeder who is game *why* the Fair? rating is not correct. Well that would happen in the USA anyway.

We do send to OFA, sometimes PennHIP and almost hold our breath with OFA. If the rating is what we feel is incorrect, we resubmit or if the positioning is incorrect, we have the radiograph redone elsewhere. I hope you now understand how it works in the USA. By the way we do not do finals until 2 years of age, 24 mo. Anything before that is a prelim and prelims should always be repeated at age 2 years or over for a final rating. Again, that's in the USA.

Hope to meet you at Potomac in 2011.

Fair?
Hips?
Fair
My Guess

As I said, I'm not a vet. Some of us with more dogs that have been rated than others can be better at reading radiographs. It's not my forte and I took a guess. Oh my, I'm sorry I don't know as much as you do Hildur.

A breeder friend or mentor would attempt to teach the guessing breeder who is game *why* the Fair? rating is not correct. Well that would happen in the USA anyway.

We do send to OFA, sometimes PennHIP and almost hold our breath with OFA. If the rating is what we feel is incorrect, we resubmit or if the positioning is incorrect, we have the radiograph redone elsewhere. I hope you now understand how it works in the USA. By the way we do not do finals until 2 years of age, 24 mo. Anything before that is a prelim and prelims should always be repeated at age 2 years or over for a final rating. Again, that's in the USA.

Hope to meet you at Potomac in 2011.

Ohh I'm sorry.... I forgot that you in US know it all.. my mistake Though it's done like that in the usa doesn't mean that it's the right way. And you don't have to tell me how it works in the usa, I know all about it but thanks for reminding me I'm not good at reading x-rays but looking at the x-rays that you would grate fair are pretty obvious to me anyway, you don't have to be a vet to see that.
I also would like since you mentioned my name come under your own name... but I guess that's how you do it in the usa too??