Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: question for those using Safeguard/Panacur cattle/equine product

Joy,

Many sites sell the product as Safeguard Canine Granules. Dr Foster and Smith sells it one and you can even see by their marketing that it's safe and intended to save money!

Revival usually has good prices and if buying in bulk, it's a considerable savings over F&S

Hi Wendy,

I have been using liquid Safeguard, 10%. I believe the correct dosage that would correspond closely to the 22.2% granules is 1cc for every 4-5 lbs. of dog. So a 100 pound dog would get 20-25 cc's. Some of the dogs tolerate the large amount directly in their food. Other dogs get a diluted version of the correct dosage plus a sweetener and water. Maple syrup works fine.

Hopbrook- you are correct on the dosage volumes- those do correspond to the 50mg/kg. I have no problem with using the liquid, I just find that volume more difficult to use for big dogs (and clients look at me like I have three heads if I try to hand them syringes with that amount ).

It is a little disconcerting that if you google using safeguard in dogs there are breeder websites (didn't specifically find lab sites) that give out specific instructions for how to use the paste... but they are incorrect on the dosage. Then folks all believe it and it becomes "true". Then if you bring up that the dose is wrong it's the evil vets just trying to ruin a good thing (or so folks tell me I don't really care if folks use the safeguard liquid or the Panacur granules- but I'd like it to be at the correct dose so that they are getting what they pay for and the dogs are getting treated and we aren't contributing to parasite resistance!

Wendy Ernst, DVM
Hopbrook- you are correct on the dosage volumes- those do correspond to the 50mg/kg. I have no problem with using the liquid, I just find that volume more difficult to use for big dogs (and clients look at me like I have three heads if I try to hand them syringes with that amount ).

It is a little disconcerting that if you google using safeguard in dogs there are breeder websites (didn't specifically find lab sites) that give out specific instructions for how to use the paste... but they are incorrect on the dosage. Then folks all believe it and it becomes "true". Then if you bring up that the dose is wrong it's the evil vets just trying to ruin a good thing (or so folks tell me I don't really care if folks use the safeguard liquid or the Panacur granules- but I'd like it to be at the correct dose so that they are getting what they pay for and the dogs are getting treated and we aren't contributing to parasite resistance!

Tried the goat liquid in vanilla yogurt - all 6 of my gang slurped it up! Wendy, thanks for the info on dosages.

Please tell me what you are all using this for--regular worming? Is this because you are also using an off label heart worm prevenative?

I'm just one of the nervous suckers who pays the big buck for everthing but I'd like to retire soon and $4000+ for vet expenses a year is a little discouraging.

To "dummy":

We use safeguard for our puppies and for bred bitches, but also if there is suspected giardia or vet confirmed parasites.

See the link posted previously for more information on the various websites.