Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: 6.2 as of Sat

My take
You should breed two days after ovulation which was Friday night or Saturday morning depending on when the blood was drawn. I would breed Monday and Wednesday if it were me. If you have the semen why wait? I don't get why people do that.

Mon and Wed. but as said, depending on when blood draw was. If early sat. morning than I would breed sun and tue.

My take
You should breed two days after ovulation which was Friday night or Saturday morning depending on when the blood was drawn. I would breed Monday and Wednesday if it were me. If you have the semen why wait? I don't get why people do that.

If it where up to me I would have done the AI on Monday when my girl was 10 and again on Wed...

I do what Hutch says - 3 days after ovulation. Which means, Tuesday would be the day. I also only do a single breeding.

And how often do we have the luck and opportunity to have the semen fresh and handy? I bet the vet suggested Tuesday because they'll also have to deal with shipping, which does not happen on the weekend. I would probably do a Tuesday and Wed or Thurs breeding.

Breeder
I do what Hutch says - 3 days after ovulation. Which means, Tuesday would be the day. I also only do a single breeding.

By breeding this way I've had no misses, no singletons and large litters from a single breeding also.

People, don't panic when your bitch hits a 5.0, you have time. Breeding too early is not going to give you what you ultimately want unless you get lucky.

Progesterone
My take

If it where up to me I would have done the AI on Monday when my girl was 10 and again on Wed...

Why would you want to breed when your girl is only at a 10 ? That makes no sense. It's entirely too early. Breeding at a 10 is a waste of time and semen. The 2nd breeding is the only AI that counts in my opinion.

Why would you shoot more crap than we already do by breeding at a 10 ng/ml? I am clarifying we talking about the same no.'s.

Huh?
Progesterone
My take

Why would you want to breed when your girl is only at a 10 ? That makes no sense. It's entirely too early. Breeding at a 10 is a waste of time and semen. The 2nd breeding is the only AI that counts in my opinion.

Why would you shoot more crap than we already do by breeding at a 10 ng/ml? I am clarifying we talking about the same no.'s.

5 ng/ml is ovulation and you breed day 2 and 4 after ovulation.

Poster said 10 not 1.0 (unless it was a type on their part)

Do not assume ovulation occurs at 5.0 Ovulation occurs between 5.0-10.0 We assume when she goes above 5.0 that she has gone on to ovulate. But, it's not an exact science that poof at 5.0 she immediately ovulates. She can start the ovulation process anywhere between 5.0-10.0 ng/mg and ovulation happens over a period of 8-12 hours. Personally I wouldn't breed at 10.0. I like to see a number of 6-8 and assume that is the day of ovulation. I breed days 2 & 4 after that. Progesterone is a estimate for ovulation. If you really want to know what day she ovulates draw blood daily, when you **think** she is ovulating go back and LH test the blood from 2 days prior. LH surge is exact - she will start ovulation 48 hours from LH surge.

Liz Martin
Do not assume ovulation occurs at 5.0 Ovulation occurs between 5.0-10.0 We assume when she goes above 5.0 that she has gone on to ovulate. But, it's not an exact science that poof at 5.0 she immediately ovulates. She can start the ovulation process anywhere between 5.0-10.0 ng/mg and ovulation happens over a period of 8-12 hours. Personally I wouldn't breed at 10.0. I like to see a number of 6-8 and assume that is the day of ovulation. I breed days 2 & 4 after that. Progesterone is a estimate for ovulation. If you really want to know what day she ovulates draw blood daily, when you **think** she is ovulating go back and LH test the blood from 2 days prior. LH surge is exact - she will start ovulation 48 hours from LH surge.

Thank you Liz, a great job of explaining ovulation and the accuracy of the LH surge opposed to a progesterone level in our bitches.

Lutenizing hormone in women is always detected in their blood but a surge is also looked for and a ratio between FSH & LH. I'm wondering if it's the same with our canine girls. I think it is.

Here is a good basic chart fom peteducation.com that I used to look at occasionally when trying to learn about proper breeding timing. I had to Google it to locate the chart as I didn't have it uploaded to my picture trail but had it on my puter hard drive. I couldn't finnd the link in favorites, maybe it's on my last computer. I think this could help any breeder understand a bitch's cycle easily showing where the hormones rise, peak and drop.

You explained ovulation timing and LH surges clear as a bell. I still do one breeding most of the time but absolutely agree with your explanation.

Huh?
Progesterone
My take

Cause she ovulated 2 or 3 days earlier when she hit 10... so that would have been the perfect day for us She hit 10 on Monday but the weekend before probably on Fri or Sat she ovulated... But we did AI on Tue and Wed...

OP here

I found a good article that i thought you would be interested in. I thought it was helpful

http://www.hilltopanimalhospital.com/chilled%20vs%20frozen.htm

Re: OP here

Try these links: (different breed, but bitches are the same)

http://vomhauskelleman.com/index.php/rottweiler-veterinary-health/canine-reproduction-seminar-by-dr-hutchinson

http://vomhausekelleman.com/index.php/rottweiler-veterinary-health/canine-ovulation-timing