Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help my puppies caught Mange!

I have 2 puppies I kept from 2 different litters. They are a week apart in age. I can't imagine where they got this but vet says it is sarcoptic mange and put them on amoxicillin, Ivomec 2x a week and lymdyp once a week. It has been 3 weeks and they are NO better!!!

My vet said to only treat adult dogs if they show signs of itching and when I google mange it says all dogs have to be treated. So I am now questioning my vets treatment.

Anyone have knowledge of this and what worked?

Re: Help my puppies caught Mange!

I had a horse vet that treated all skin issues with 10 parts water, 1 part chlorine bleach. Worked for ringworm for me, she said it worked for everything. I put the mixture in a spray bottle and soaked skin 3 times per day. Might work for mange.

Use revolution on everyone.

I called Pfizer and they didn't want to tell me how to transfer from the ivomec to the revolution. So i called the vet and they have no info on revolution. :P

Contact my email and I will help you.

revolution
Use revolution on everyone.

Agreed. Treat them with Revolution. It works great. Two weeks apart for two applications. I was paranoid about it and gave them a third treatment. Never a problem again and I kept three of them for myself. They are now three years old and no skin issues.

Revolution is the way to go, so easy and a very quick improvement. I also gave 3 applications about 2 weeks apart. Sarcoptic mites are very contagious, if your untreated dogs aren't scratching I might question the diagnosis.

I had a few tubes left over from last years treatment so I used them in the spring, to my surprise the dogs did not get any ticks that month while I found 2 on me! I might start using Revolution in the springtime and it also covers heartworm so I can get a little break from that.

agree also
Sarcoptic mites are very contagious, if your untreated dogs aren't scratching I might question the diagnosis.

In my case, the mom and her litter got mange but none of the other dogs got it. (It was a terribly hot time of year and I imagine stress brought it on.) My vet refused to believe that that's what they had after three negative skin scrapings. I badgered him enough that in the end, we tried it and it was an instant fix.

Hope this is the answer for you.

if it is sarcoptic mange then use Revolution every 2 weeks for three treatments. You will notice about week 2 or so the dogs will seem to get itchier then they were before - that's only due to the mites dying and the inflammatory response to the dead mites in the skin. It will pass.

The most frequent areas that mange will be noted on a skin scraping are the tips / edges of the ears, the elbows, stifles and of course - if there are any scaly dry spots on the skin.

All bedding etc needs to be washed / disinfected and if you have an outdoor kennel it needs to be treated as well.

tech
if it is sarcoptic mange then use Revolution every 2 weeks for three treatments. You will notice about week 2 or so the dogs will seem to get itchier then they were before - that's only due to the mites dying and the inflammatory response to the dead mites in the skin. It will pass.

The most frequent areas that mange will be noted on a skin scraping are the tips / edges of the ears, the elbows, stifles and of course - if there are any scaly dry spots on the skin.

All bedding etc needs to be washed / disinfected and if you have an outdoor kennel it needs to be treated as well.

Sarcoptic mites are rarely caught on a skin scraping and it's not necessary to disinfect or wash everything. The mites will all be dead with proper treatment. Mites can't live very long off of their host.

Sarcoptic mites are rarely caught on a skin scraping and it's not necessary to disinfect or wash everything. The mites will all be dead with proper treatment. Mites can't live very long off of their host.

If you google them it says that they can live 3-22 days with out a host. I would hate to miss any so cleaning and laundry is a must.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

"Sarcoptic mange mites are usually spread by direct contact from host to host. While mites can live off of a host for days to weeks depending on their life stage, they are only infective for 36 hours which means that environmental decontamination is generally not necessary."

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_sarcoptic_mange.html

(In the warm dry environment of your house they only live a few days off the host.)

Itchy

If you google them it says that they can live 3-22 days with out a host. I would hate to miss any so cleaning and laundry is a must.

Thanks everyone for all the help.

This is why you use Revolution for three applications, 2 wks apart. It's really easy and effective. The puppy will itch right after each application because of the mites dying off but that disappears in a short time. Go for it. You'll be glad you did.

How quickly after applying Revolution should I expect to see results, if the itching is due to Scabies? I understand the dosing protocol of every two weeks, for three applications, but when does one usually see the itching subside? Thanks in advance.

Sarcoptic mange usually goes away after 2-3 shots of weekly Ivermectin. If you put Lyme dip on top of that, it should be gone by now. I wonder if they have something else like ringworm or just plain dry skin?

It has been four days since application of Revolution. Just wondering if I should be seeing results yet, or if it takes more time to show any signs of improvement.
We aren't sure if we are dealing with Scabies, this is a rule out. It is just one puppy, began itching after he came to join our family.No other pups from the litter are itchy, and other dogs in our home are fine too.
FYI, I am not the original poster, just found this thread while searching for information.

1. Treat every dog in the household.
2. Ask vet if something anti itch would be appropriate for the pup to take orally, at least Benadryl or maybe Temaril P. I don't know how old the pup is, and would be concerned about unneeded pred.
3. Treatment for scabies or fleas usually increases itching temporarily, then it subsides gradually. The first day is the worst, although some have told me that the first few days are the most scratching, if my memory is correct. We had it with a Lab we brought in some years ago, and quick treatment as a rule-out prevented us from having it all through the household. That being said, all it takes is one mangey fox to run through the yard just before a young or old dog goes out for any of us to get a mangey dog, I suppose. I would continue using Revolution monthly until the first hard frost at least.
4. He's not itching from just a collar, is he? Some pups hate wearing collars, although most show pups don't wear them except on lead.
5. Check his ears.

Good luck.

How often is the puppy scratching? Dogs with mange scratch almost constantly and damage their skin. If the other dogs aren't scratching it probably isn't mange. Puppies scratch more than usual.

Puppy is five months now, has been scratching since he came here, at eight weeks. At first not such a big deal, thought, yes, puppies tend to scratch some. It has not gotten better though, and now there is hair loss on the inside of legs, and underbelly. No other dogs in the household itchy, the Revolution is a rule out of sorts. Has been just four days since first application of Revolution. He has been given Benadryl, but doesn't seem to help. If this doesn't work, we will pursue allergies as the cause. Getting to the bottom of itching can be difficult-though necessary to treat properly.

Revolution. I had it in puppies a few years ago and it works. Once a week for three weeks to kill the cycle.

Seeking information
Puppy is five months now, has been scratching since he came here, at eight weeks. At first not such a big deal, thought, yes, puppies tend to scratch some. It has not gotten better though, and now there is hair loss on the inside of legs, and underbelly. No other dogs in the household itchy, the Revolution is a rule out of sorts. Has been just four days since first application of Revolution. He has been given Benadryl, but doesn't seem to help. If this doesn't work, we will pursue allergies as the cause. Getting to the bottom of itching can be difficult-though necessary to treat properly.

Stick with the Revolution for several weeks. One application won't do it. Your puppy will itch more at first and as you break the life cycle of the mite, he will become more comfortable.