Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Low tail set on an 8 month old

Thoughts please on a slight low tail set on an 8 month old-could be something that might get better or not?
Have the opportunity to get a sweet boy for my daughter who wants to get into the show ring. Could give this guy a great home anyway but was wondering if she could get started with a youngster with a low tail set.
Comments?
Thanks!

Re: Low tail set on an 8 month old

Usually if a tail is low it stays that way. If your daughter is looking to win I would move on.

I'm sure there's a good reason the breeder is letting him go....could be that low tail set.

I agree - move on to something better.

Consider this your daughter's starter dog, for maybe even her very own breeding program one day.

Go for the best :)

Without seeing this dog and/or looking at the pedigree, there is no way anyone can tell you that this dog's tailset won't improve. Different lines mature differently- some pups that start with level tailsets end up with ones that are too high in the end as well. If the breeder you are dealing with has bred multiple champions then why not be upfront with them about your concerns... no one wants to sell a dog that is going to lose to a show home- you only want your best represented since it will have your kennel name on it. Also, it is important to remember that conversely, no breeder will ever sell you their best.

I would think that is an awful time to look at a male anyway. They all have faults at that age. High in the rear, sometimes tailsets, but awkward stage at 8 or 9 mos. I always let others have the nicest dogs also. So not always true that they would not be letting you have something nice. They may have two very nice boys and picked the one for them to keep.

Hi.. if he's a true goose rump, I'd pass on him personally. If he has just a bit more roundness to his croup(lab croups are not flat and they do not/should not come off the back) than is desirable, it's not a deal breaker.. many labs that are very nice overall are shown w/ a less than stellar croup.

I would visit w/ your breeder about this and an honest one will tell you the truth. There are many that will sell a dog as show quality when it's really not. But a good reputable one will be honest w/ you. They don't want something they aren't proud of in the ring for all to see. And this boy could very well be a nice one overall for you starting out...just not quite what the breeder wanted h/her self but still a nice one for someone else.

Good luck....

You are absolutely right, Sherry. Too many people want a dog's topline and tail set too flat ...many times this indicates an improper (shallow)croup angle.
A level top line does not mean FLAT!

Sherry L. Anderson
Hi.. if he's a true goose rump, I'd pass on him personally. If he has just a bit more roundness to his croup(lab croups are not flat and they do not/should not come off the back) than is desirable, it's not a deal breaker.. many labs that are very nice overall are shown w/ a less than stellar croup.

I would visit w/ your breeder about this and an honest one will tell you the truth. There are many that will sell a dog as show quality when it's really not. But a good reputable one will be honest w/ you. They don't want something they aren't proud of in the ring for all to see. And this boy could very well be a nice one overall for you starting out...just not quite what the breeder wanted h/her self but still a nice one for someone else.

Good luck....

Sherry, I agree with everything you said.

OP, did you ask the breeder if the pup always had the low tail set? She might think you wouldn't notice it. If it had been better earlier and changed; I would think an honest breeder would have told you about it.

I would pass on it also. No dog is perfect but if it's that noticeable to you that you need to ask I think you have your answer. Apparently, you have a good eye which will help you find the right pup or dog for your daughter.

Go with the majority of the board opinions, especially the 2 above me. They seem to really know conformation. There are many breeders out there that think the tailset coming straight off the back is proper. It's not.

Here is a good link about the breed standard http://www.thelabradorclub.com/subpages/show_contents.php?page=Breed+Standard

There is a good photograph of a proper croup and tailset on page7 here http://webs.dogs.net.au/labradorclubqld/uploads/documents/Labrador%20Breed%20Standard%20v3%20-%2020%20Jan%2008%20DOL.pdf

Arm yourself with as much proper information as possible and continue your search is Jmho.

Croups & Tailsets

Was searching for threads on croups/tailsets and came across this thread. this thread was 3 years ago...today lot of toplines with tails right off the back. Correct? Incorrect?