Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mosquito repellent

I am looking for a mosquito repellent that is effective and won't bleach out/ turn red our Black bitch's show coat. They are so thick around here she's brown with them LOL No so worried about the other dogs they are yellow and not actively showing in the conformation ring.

TIA

PS - yes they are all on HW preventative even though it's not endemic in this area

Re: Mosquito repellent

You might look at Flee Flea. I purchased it from Natures Farmacy. I use it as a fly repellant when the dogs are outside. I have black and yellows and have not seen any coat discoloration.

Julia

I use Deo Lotion concentrate....it is all natural....made for horses. I mix it with water to a 1:7 solution. I spray myself and the dogs while on our walks.....it repels flies, gnats and mosquitos. I think it works great....it smells good too !!

There are a few brands of the top spot type killer/repellants that we use for fleas and ticks that also repel mosquitoes. Can't think of the names off hand, but should be easy to search.

We have skeeters here that are so big and black and I swear, they could carry you off! ha! I like a product called Pet Guard.....I've used this for years... It only takes about a dime size in your palm, rub hands together and wipe on your dog. I concentrate more on the ears/face area and hocks... We are surrounded by livestock so also have major biting flies too.

I use Bronco fly spray for horses from TSC. Ingredient is Permetherin, which is used in some flea products for dogs. It's toxic to cats.

Mike

Linda Curpier
I use Deo Lotion concentrate....it is all natural....made for horses. I mix it with water to a 1:7 solution. I spray myself and the dogs while on our walks.....it repels flies, gnats and mosquitos. I think it works great....it smells good too !!

I ordered some of this based on your recommendation. When I opened the box the bottle was tightly wrapped in bubble wrap, removed the bubble wrap and there was packaging tape covering the cap. Great care had been taken to wrap the plastic bottle yet there was a STRONG soapy or repellent type odor. The bottle was not opened and it hadn't leaked (catalog in box was dry and no evidence it had gotten wet). The odor was incredibly strong!!! The smell permeated my house even though the bottle had never been opened and gave us sore throats in less than 20 minutes! I had to remove the package from my house. I can't imagine putting this on my dogs even diluted.

Strong stuff, I have no doubt it repels insects, lol. I called the company and it was obvious I wasn't the first person that had complained about this product. They are sending me a return label and issuing me a refund.

Well I do use a natural spray from Pop's once in a while but since I am surrounded by swamps here the mosquitos come in clouds. My Mosquito Magnet died last year and I did not want to spend the $600. to get a new one but a couple of weeks ago I was sickened by the 50 or 60 mosquitos on each dog so I broke down and bought a new Mosquito Magnet it has been running for 5 days and at night you can stand in the back yard and not a single mosquito will touch you. Mine covers an acre so the horses are protected also. I do not like to spray my dogs and will not spray pups with anything.

Mosquitos are horrible here too and I stumbled onto something a few months ago that has all of the mosquitos, fleas, ticks, and flies in my yard running for the neighbor's yard! Plus, it's natural and chemical free. http://www.springtimeinc.com/product/bug-off-garlic-dogs

* One disclaimer, do not give it to pregnant bitches or any dog due for any type of surgery because garlic is an anti-coagulant.

I can treat all 6 of my dogs for an entire year for about $150. That's $12 a month!! It has a really strong odor so I am considering feeding it outside. The garlic pills don't smell as strong but they are more expensive. It takes 4 pills a day for each dog, so 1000 pills would last 41 days for 6. That's about $50/month. Still much better than any Frontline or Advantage I've ever bought.

One more thing to consider when choosing granules or pills. My dogs all gobble up the granules. Two of my dogs pick out the pills sometimes and leave them in the pan of their crates. It's not too effective there. LOL