Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bred By Class

Does anyone enter a puppy in the Bred-by class? If so, at what age?

Re: Bred By Class

I've finished a few from the Bred By Class, however, none of them started their points until they were closer to a year old.

I've entered them right after they are eligible to show.
My pups are competitive to make Best Puppy In Breed, yes, and even have had a few Puppy In Group (i'm in Canada btw) but they have all still been very much a puppy at that age. I see my pups really starting to come together later rather than sooner.
It's good practice for them, and me... and I'm always proud to be in the ring in the bred-by class.

I think it depends on the puppy.
I asked myself the same question a few days ago.
I have a bitch that is 12 months old now that I really like and she has been doing really well at the Specialties in the puppy classes... I would ideally like to show ( point) her exclusively from the BBE class so that is what I am choosing to do. Though I will show her in Puppy Sweeps at the Specialties til she is 18 months old since no points are involved and it's fun and good experience for her. I am certain the judges will know she is still very young and judge her accordingly. The way I figure it, she would have to go up against the BBE winner anyway in Winners if she took her puppy class.... So if she is competitive , why not?

There is a show coming up with a Best Puppy comp, so I am going to enter them in puppy, in hopes to compete in that. They've only showed once so far just @ 6 mo, and they look as young as they are...and I'm not talking about specialties, just all breed, where I'm competing among handlers, I thought why not step up into the bred by? I have an 8 mo. old that I didnt breed, and she looks mature, so maybe Amatuer Owner Handler? Or I guess Am Bred. Just tossing the idea around, seeing what other people are thinking. These pups are my first breeding, and I feel "stuck" in the puppy class.

If it's a small show, just know that if your dog does get any points from puppy class, he/she will not be eligible for the Bred By Exhibitor champion medallion.

After getting too many single points from puppy class, I put my dogs directly into BBE at 6 months for all breed shows and all of them have received at least 2 single points from BBE. At specialties, I'll put them in their age-appropriate class unless i really think I have a shot at the points and then I put them in BBE. BBE is a class to be proud of. Best BBE in a specialty means more to me that any of the all breed points my dogs have!

My puppies go right into the Bred By class as I go after the bred by medallion. My last one - Chai, finished with two back to back 5 point majors in California at just days after she turned 12 months.

Really fun, but with most we just have fun until they mature.

JanisG

Incorrect. If the pup is under 12 months you are still eligible for the bred by medallion if you show in BBE as soon as it turns 12 months.

Anon breeder
If it's a small show, just know that if your dog does get any points from puppy class, he/she will not be eligible for the Bred By Exhibitor champion medallion.

After getting too many single points from puppy class, I put my dogs directly into BBE at 6 months for all breed shows and all of them have received at least 2 single points from BBE. At specialties, I'll put them in their age-appropriate class unless i really think I have a shot at the points and then I put them in BBE. BBE is a class to be proud of. Best BBE in a specialty means more to me that any of the all breed points my dogs have!

Thanks for your input! I didnt know about a BBE Medallion, that sounds really cool! I've been showing puppy class forever it feels, obviously everytime we aquire a pup, and I just cant wait to enter BBE but didnt know whether I should wait or not. So....definately, by the time they are 12 months, have then in BBE to have a shot at earning the medallion? Correct? I just didnt want to stroll into a BBE class with a pup and have everyone wondering, what the h*%# is Yvonne doing???? lol.
But, if others are putting their young pups in BBE, then why not ?!?!

Brdr
Incorrect. If the pup is under 12 months you are still eligible for the bred by medallion if you show in BBE as soon as it turns 12 months.

Anon breeder

Not according to the AKC website or the rep I spoke to. BBE and puppy class wins (if breeder/owner handled) are eligible for the Eukanuba Invitational, but all points must be from BBE for the medallion. If you've received one for BBE/Puppy, please post who you spoke to as I have a call to make tomorrow!

http://www.akc.org/nationalchampionship/qualifiers/?type=BBE&text_event_number=2011277101

Well, will you please post what you find out? I have pointed a bitch in the puppy class before, but i didnt breed her, so i wouldnt want to screw that up with these two. Thanks! Yvonne

Highroller
There is a show coming up with a Best Puppy comp, so I am going to enter them in puppy, in hopes to compete in that. They've only showed once so far just @ 6 mo, and they look as young as they are...and I'm not talking about specialties, just all breed, where I'm competing among handlers, I thought why not step up into the bred by? I have an 8 mo. old that I didnt breed, and she looks mature, so maybe Amatuer Owner Handler? Or I guess Am Bred. Just tossing the idea around, seeing what other people are thinking. These pups are my first breeding, and I feel "stuck" in the puppy class.

I'm not certain that in the US, the rules would be the same...but here in Canada...If I have a 6 mnth-12 mnth puppy entered in the Bred-By class, and they win their class, they are still called back in the ring to compete for Best Puppy In Breed because they are noted as a puppy.
If your rules are the same there, you should still be able to compete for Puppy AND be in the Bred-By classes.
If i'm not mistaken, Puppy in Breed and Group and Show are fairly new for your all-breed shows? I remember them being at some/most Specialties before, but the All-Breed i think it's new yes?

You should be able to have your cake and eat it too with this one.

Tina @ Tyric
I'm not certain that in the US, the rules would be the same...but here in Canada...If I have a 6 mnth-12 mnth puppy entered in the Bred-By class, and they win their class, they are still called back in the ring to compete for Best Puppy In Breed because they are noted as a puppy.
If your rules are the same there, you should still be able to compete for Puppy AND be in the Bred-By classes.
If i'm not mistaken, Puppy in Breed and Group and Show are fairly new for your all-breed shows? I remember them being at some/most Specialties before, but the All-Breed i think it's new yes?

You should be able to have your cake and eat it too with this one.

No the Best Puppy competition in the US is much different than in Canada. BP competition is a club by club designation and most Kennel Clubs do not have such a competition. Those that do specifically state the conditions of the competition. That specification states that only dogs competing in the 6-9 month and 9-12 month class. The winners of these classes then compete after the Best of Breed class unless one of the class winners goes Best of Breed or Best of Winners.

As for the medalion, ALL points must come from the Bred-By Class.

As someone else pointed out that to qualify for the Eukanuba dogs show, points may be awarded in the puppy class as well as the bred-by class.

Thanks, i'd rather shoot for getting a medallion than going to Eukenuba, as I didnt even go last year when it was open invite, so I figure why shoot for that now. Well, this gives me new direction, not that I think we will get pointed until they are older, but I did have a girl who got pointed in the 12-18 class in the past. Thanks you all for your input.

It is harder for a puppy to win out of the bred-by class than out of the puppy class. Usually breeders put their best bred dogs in the bred-by class and it is hard for a puppy to win over an older matured dog unless the puppy is exceptional. The medialion is awarded if all of the points are won out of the bred by class. You are allowed to show in the puppy classes until the dog reaches one year and then it needs to be moved to bred by. If you win points out of the puppy class then no medialion, but can you really be sure you will win the points before the puppy is one year? It is something you need to think about, but I would wait until my puppy reached a year before putting them in the bred by class. Why put so much pressure on a puppy to win over adults when you can be having fun in the puppy classes and winning some best puppy awards. The AKC has changed the rule to allow a bred by to be shown in the puppy classes and then moved to the bred by class at 12 months for the exact reason that breeders were complaining that their puppy couldn't win from the bred by class due to the adult competition.

I also disagree with the poster who says that if you win out of the puppy class you still have to go up against the bred by in winners. It is not the same going up against a puppy in the puppy class and winning the class and getting into winners as in putting your puppy against an adult dog in the class. The idea is to get into the winners ring, once there, you can work it to persuade the judge to consider your puppy for the points because it is the only puppy and the judge will look at it as a puppy. If you lose the bred by class to an adult, you don't get a second chance to make an impression in the winners ring.

I agree, but there seems to be differant views on this "medallion" for Bred By. I better call AKC myself and find out. I have known sevaral pups who get pointed in the puppy classes, 6-9 and 9-12, so I would never discount a puppy, especially at an smaller all breed show. As much as I'd love to point my puppy, and I have with a previous girl, what a shame do miss out on something more special like earning a medallion, or whatever special keepsake, vs. just winning a point or two in the pupster class. jmo. I'm gonna find out about all of this, will get back to you with what I find out. I HOPE, you correct, in that I could show in puppy until 12 months, and hopefully point, then go to bred by and still have a shot at a finishing prize.

"Bred-By-Exhibitor medallions are awarded to those exhibitors that complete all points required for their conformation championship title by advancing to the winners competition from the Bred-by-Exhibitor class"

What this also means is that if you win the Bred-by class you don't necessarily need to handle the dog in winners.

I've pointed many puppies. I've also shown and won many points, including finishing a dog from the BBE class. He took points as puppy from the BBE class. In small shows, most of the time there aren't any BBE dogs. Any judge worth their salt will know you have a puppy and that you are showing in BBE to qualify for the medallion.

Good luck to you.

Highroller
I agree, but there seems to be differant views on this "medallion" for Bred By. I better call AKC myself and find out. I have known sevaral pups who get pointed in the puppy classes, 6-9 and 9-12, so I would never discount a puppy, especially at an smaller all breed show. As much as I'd love to point my puppy, and I have with a previous girl, what a shame do miss out on something more special like earning a medallion, or whatever special keepsake, vs. just winning a point or two in the pupster class. jmo. I'm gonna find out about all of this, will get back to you with what I find out. I HOPE, you correct, in that I could show in puppy until 12 months, and hopefully point, then go to bred by and still have a shot at a finishing prize.

"I also disagree with the poster who says that if you win out of the puppy class you still have to go up against the bred by in winners"

You may disagree of course, but the fact is if you win the puppy class, and your puppy is not better on that day than the BBE bitch or other class winners, you still won't get a second look in Winners... I do realize that a mature bitch or dog who is of top quality stands a better chance of winning BBE than a top quality 12 month old.
But my belief is that the judge still has to decide who is the better dog or bitch on that particular day.
If it's an outstanding BBE bitch it will take Winners anyway.( provided the other class winners are not better) If BBE is mediocre and my 12 month old bitch can beat her in Winners from the puppy classes, she should be able to beat her in BBE. Maturity does not equate to quality...
I guess it's all a matter of whether or not exhibitors believe that the second look they get in Winners really makes that much of a difference. I know a ton of judges and they say they pretty much know their WD and WB before they go in for Winners.
And personally, I am going to the medallion. It is what it is!

"Any judge worth their salt will know you have a puppy and that you are showing in BBE to qualify for the medallion.

Good luck to you."

Ditto,, well put!

Right, right, right! I called AKC and to put a final word on this...most you are correct, and I thank EVERYONE for their imput! EVERY SINGLE POINT MUST COME FROM THE BRED-BY CLASS TO GET A MEDALLION WHEN FINISHED. Then there are the Silver and Gold Medallion...and that is on the akc website under Breeders. I did call...got a quick, and I feel accurate answer. So, though my initial post didnt involvle a medallion at all...it does now, thanks! This is good info to know, what a shame if someone missed out because they oops, got pointed in the puppy class just once. I think a medallion is a nice award to shoot for as a breeder, especially a new one like myself. Thanks all !

Think of it as whatever works best for you or what you think will. Judges don't always know why you have a puppy in the bred-by class and some even ask why you are showing a puppy in the bred by class. Not all judges know who there winner is before all the dogs go back in for winners. They have to go through am bred, open black and open yellow and there winner might be in those classes instead. The winners ring does give the second chance whether you want to believe it or not. A judge can change their mind, once they see all the winners come back in. If you are a good enough handler you would know this. If you just assume the judge already knows who their winner is then why even go back in the ring? If you want the medialion then start out in the bred-by class but don't be surprised if your puppy does not win anything there.

Yes, and I wouldn't expect my pup to win in ANY class where there are other quality, more mature entries. And, as many know in all-breed, there are times when they arent even looking at the dogs, but up the lead. So...I wouldnt have that high of expectations on my pups, ever. At the end of the day, it is an opportunity to see good friends, and have fun. Winning isn't everything ya know, and once you lose sight of that, you and your dogs probably arent having fun anymore.

You go to a dog show to win. If you like spending your money to lose then go for it. I am not saying that I am only going if my dogs are always winning, but I want to set up the best strategy to win if I can. Don't twist my words! You asked a question, I gave you my experience. Yes I do have fun. A lot of fun and even more fun when my dogs win. I am a competitor and I enjoy competing so what is the problem with that?

"If you want the medialion then start out in the bred-by class but don't be surprised if your puppy does not win anything there."

Nothing surprises me on Lab forums or in the Breed ring. But to share a fact with you, I already pointed a pup out of BBE class his first show. And yes there were other entries that day... To each his own...
You strategize the way you feel comfortable and others will do the same.. BTW my handling skills are just fine.. I got a major under a breeder/ judge after only being in the ring a couple of times... Some judges do know quality when they see it. Even with a complete novice handler on the other end of the lead...
Good luck!

Differant view, you've made your opionion clear and THANK YOU. What you do with your dogs is your business, and I appreciate your opinion, just don't keep shoving it down my throat! I GET that your in it only to win, thats cool, your entitled. Your negativity is not welcome, so go start your own thread on how important you think it is to win, and why would anyone waste money doing anything otherwise. You want to say more, say who you are, dont be a big mouth hider. You've turned a seeming decent thread into just another bullshit thread. Thanks.

I entered my 8 month old bitch in BBE because I didn't take her dad who is my normal BBE. She competed against another bitch that was 2. She won BBE and then competed against 5 other bitches and won WB. Since she was also BOW she won Best BBE automatically (the WD was also from the BBE class). Don't discount a young pup. If they have what it takes they can most definitely win. Do what you think is right. I was not expecting a win just thought what the heck. Let me tell you it was the greatest thrill for me to have her win from the BBE class at 8 months old. Go for it!! Most of the time BBE class and puppy classes cost the same so why not

Jessica, your absolutely right, and congrats on that awesome win!

Highroller
Jessica, your absolutely right, and congrats on that awesome win!

Thanks so much Her dad has 6 points out of BBE class and I honestly started showing him in BBE because it was cheaper but once he won his first points from BBE I figured what the heck. Every win we get makes me feel awesome because he is my 1st BBE and I am so looking forward to someday getting a medallion Good luck to you Highroller!!

Yea, I didn't even know about a medallion, so i've found out this useful info by asking, so thats great, it gives me direction, even if they are too young. And I figure, from previous post, if a judge wonders why a pup is in the BBE, maybe they should not be getting paid. lol. Goodluck.

Not such a "Highroller" after all.

Are you talking about the AKC gold and silver medallions for BBE or something else?

On AKC site they show a gold and silver medallion but you have to finish 10 (gold) or 5 (silver) dogs in BBE to get the medallion. Can you get a medallion by finishing only one dog?

Quote: "Can you get a medallion by finishing only one dog?"

Yes.

breeder2
Quote: "Can you get a medallion by finishing only one dog?"

Yes.

Do you have a link or more information? Does the medallion come from AKC? I didn't find anything (except a medallion for 5 or 10 champions) when I searched. Thank you for your help.

Those medallions are for the "new expanded" bred-by medallion awards. The original is one medallion for finishing one champion from the bred-by class which still applies.

http://www.akc.org/enewsletter/akc_breeder/2008/spring/medallion.cfm

Yes, those are in addition to the original medallion for finishing 1 champion in BBE.

BBE

Very nice, thank you! I'm guessing you have to handle the dog yourself (no other handlers allowed)?

You are correct new to this you would need to be the breeder and handle the dog yourself to the finish. Or you can be like some breeders who like to twist the rules and put a pro handler on their dogs as a breeder and then you can pay a pro to handle your dog in the bred by exhibitor class.

Well....here it is. Thanks for all your info! Good and bad! Our puppy, just a few days shy of 8 months, got WD in the BBE class & Best Bred By for the BBE group (which we couldnt attend) Just go to show....a puppy CAN point in the BBE!!!!! I'm so glad I entered it, our first shot at his, his 2nd show.....

Congratulations!! Glad to hear this, I am going to be entering my puppy into the BBE class too.

For the initial BBE class, yes, the dog must be owner handled, but if your dog wins and goes to WD/WB, anyone can handle it. Thats what I'm told, correct me if I'm wrong.

Highroller
For the initial BBE class, yes, the dog must be owner handled, but if your dog wins and goes to WD/WB, anyone can handle it. Thats what I'm told, correct me if I'm wrong.

You are correct. Only the BBE class is restricted to owner handler. Anyone can handle the dog in winners, breed, etc.

Another Bred-By win! Primm NV, our Cork won BBE & RWD at a 3pt major for boys! 9 months old!

Congrats!! But I think you have this in the wrong thread. Do you have other results from this show with a 3 point major for the boys that you can post with your BBE-RWD win? Who took the 3 point major?

I think this is the correct post, since I am the original poster. We didnt pick up the points, we took the BBE & RWD on Saturday of the Black Mt. K.C. show...Who got the points?? I'm sure you can look that up in the show results on Bradshaw. I was just bragging for my 9 mo. old boy, for those who bashed us who show pups in the BBE class.