Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cruciate Surgery

We have a large, 90 lb lab mix that is having a TTO done for a ruptured cranial cruciate ligament in 2 weeks. Just wondering what everyone's opinion is on keeping them confined to a crate vs. an exercise pen. I have 42 in crates and an ex-pen that we can use. This boy isn't overly exuberant since he had an extracapsular cruciate repair done on the other knee a couple of years ago and is still a little lame. We have two other more energetic labs in the house that we need to keep him securely away from. I want to get everything set for him before he has his procedure and initially thought crate confinement, but now think maybe an ex-pen might allow him just enough room to also allow him to keep some strength, but still protect the surgery. Just wondering what everyone's experience is that has dealt with ACL ruptures.

Thanks

Re: Cruciate Surgery

I would keep him in the crate for the first week, x-pen for the next three-four months.
Leash walk for at least 4-6 months.
Water therapy works very well to get the muscles back in shape.
That is the schedule I used and it worked well.
Best of luck with your guy's recovery.

When our girl had her ACL surgery last year we opted to use an expen instead of a crate as I felt the crate would restrict her mobility too much and that she would be more comfortable in an xpen. We set it up so that the xpen surrounded a really thick dog bed and she was able to lay in any position she felt comfortable and move around enough to maintain mobility without endangering her recovery. Once she had made it through the intitial stages we made the xpen area a bit larger so she could have a choice of surfaces to be on.She made a complete recovery with just leash walking and therapy excersises,specific excersises on a plan from her Ortho and massage/rom.

Definitely use a x-pen, instead of a crate. The crate is way too confining and you want them to be comfortable after such an invasive surgery and not cramped up in a crate. Put a nice comfortable bed in the x-pen and make it cozy. Put the x-pen in your family room where a TV can be on to keep the dog spirits up or a main room where you will be spending time, so they are not alone. Spending 8 weeks in a x-pen recovering can be depressing for the dog, but if you are nearby and have the sounds of the TV on, they will feel less alone and supported. Give regular potty breaks and use your leash, put a water bucket in the x-pen (you can clip it on the side of the x-pen, sit in the x-pen with the dog a few times a day and pet them and give them extra attention. Try and keep other dogs from bothering the recovering dog and let the dog rest.

Absolutely use an x-pen. I bought a cheapo carpet to tape down onto the floor and made a cover for the top of the x-pen so my girl wouldn't jump at all. I think the crate will be harder on them just trying to turn around in a confined space will put stress on the surgery.

Good luck!

When I suggested a crate for the first week or so, it was a 48" crate to give them enough room to move around.
It helped to keep them from jumping.
I did walking short distances six times a day.
Like around the yard or the length of the driveway.
Vet said that was fine in the beginning and then to move to an x-pen.
Just saying what worked for my guy.

I agree re: the ex-pen, because there's a good chance the dog will require an elizabethan collar, and that's very awkward in any size crate, due to the door and the top of the crate. Good luck!

You can purchase a top panel for Precision ex-pens. They just snap on. We used the 30" (32"?) ex-pen with the top when our boy had his TPLO surgery, with leash walks for breaks and swimming in the pool for therapy. It was several months, but he recovered without a limp.

Kestrel is a VERY BAD DOG, and had to be in a no bite and an E collar, with that much neck hardware we couldn't get her into a crate, so we set up a very small xpen post surgery, where she stayed except for walks for several weeks. it worked well, she healed nicely, could watch M TV all day long, and developed an interest in alternative rock (and she healed up well and is 100% back in action)

barb

I agree with Lab Owner on the xtra large crate for comfort and to keep the dog from jumping, or "launching" forward on to the knee. I had a young, exuberant girl and she needed the total confinement, but the crate was really compfy with lots of thick blanket and so large that she could stretch out and completely stand with head room. Strict leash walks for 12 weeks and I used both leash and a "sling" I made from a natural grocery bag for rear end power steering...it kept her from being able to launch after a rabbit, or squirrel she might see. She wasn't allowed off leash for a very long time...months, or to go in communal dog yard to play. I gradually allowed the flexi and she only went out after all the other dogs were done and back inside, so she wouldn't attempt to run. No special therapy sessions...just good old fashioned gradual conditioning. It's been 7 years post surgery.

Thanks everyone for your responses to my ex-pen vs. crate question for a dog recovering from cruciate surgery. Also, thanks for your support and personal stories. This poor guy is already acting depressed due to his ex-pen/bedroom confinement since his injury 16 days ago. I will be glad when he finally has his surgery - decided to wait for a specific orthopendic surgeon. He acts as if he is in trouble being confined away from the other 2 labs. I know it is going to be difficult for him to be confined, but I have got him a metal ex-pen as opposed to the cloth-sided one I already had so he can see everyone better and feel like he is still a part of the family.

Showing after Cruciate Surgery?

Does anyone know what the rule is about showing a dog after cruciate surgery?
A friend said that they cannot be shown.
My guy was on three legs and had to have the injury repaired just to be able to walk!
I know that you cannot have surgery to improve a gait but this was not the issue at all.
He is six months post surgery. I was thinking of givng him a few more months before going back into the ring.
Anyone have experience with this and showing afterward?

Re: Showing after Cruciate Surgery?

Would love to hear some comments on this please. Thanks!