Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Starting to train on WC and JH

I am very new to the training for hunt tests. Our dogs have always been show dogs with some hunting that my family does (we do mainly deer and turkey, not a dog take-along sort of hunt) but we do occasional pheasant or goose.

I was wondering what people use to train with. My 8 month old bitch has gotten use to a bumper with pheasant wings since she was 10 weeks old. She has been around loud bangs of a .22 and then the 4th of July fireworks... Nothing more.

I would like to know what sort of "dummy" or where you get your birds to train the retrieve with? And how do you start to get them used to the shotgun?

Like I have said I have never trained a dog for these sort of tests before and I would appreciate any help I can get!

Re: Starting to train on WC and JH

Our local UKC hunt club has people that gladly give frozen birds. They also have members who will help expose your dog to live birds.
The AKC club here just trains for field trials, so not much help. Just a thought of a place to start. When I belonged to the UKC club there were many who used the club to train but only competed in AKC.

Here is a link to a place with great supplies you might want.
http://www.lcsupply.com/

For starters you should go to some WC'S and hunt tests to watch so you know what it entails. Then, find someone in your area, person or a club who you can work with until you pass those first tests and know how to train for them in the future.

You can do most of the training with bumpers, but before you actually go to a test, you need to introduce your dog to birds, and they should have some experience with live fliers and with cripples, just in case. Otherwise, you my find yourself with what happened to me one time, a dog that refuses to pick up a warm dead bird or a cripple. If you hunt, it should be easier. I had to send the dog to a trainer for few weeks to get that experience.

Good to know Peggy! Thanks for the tip. I have some friends that have field trials that have been coaching me some. They are helping me find the right ducks right now.

My girl is in her puppy uglies and I think this is perfect time to get her out of the ring and into the field!! I am going to try some gun stuff with her possibly this weekend and next week. Do you have a special way to start with that? Do you start with a shot gun right away or use a .22?