Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Okay Cerf female whelp

I know this was talked about and can't find it in the search. Is it okay to have females in whelp eyes check. Only thinking the drops ?

Re: Okay Cerf female whelp

The ACVO, our repro and regular vet said no problem doing so. My bitch had 7 beautiful pups a couple of months ago.

Double check to be sure your vet is okay with it. I was told it was fine by mine.

Luck be with you.

I was told the same by my ACVO, and sure enough, all went fine.

The only thing I would try to avoid is a clinic, with umpteen dogs at it, especially in a high traffic area such as at a show or a vet's office, just to avoid possible exposure to virus' etc. If there's no ophthalmologist nearby and only busy clinics available, I think I'd wait, because we're not going to change the fact she's in whelp right now anyway, and I'd take her as soon as possible afterward, maybe when cerf'ing the litter. JMHO. Either way, good luck with your litter and with your girl's cerf.

If she's had several passing CERF's, I'd probably wait to do it, unless you are doing it in a private office.

Linda@Staghorn
The only thing I would try to avoid is a clinic, with umpteen dogs at it, especially in a high traffic area such as at a show or a vet's office, just to avoid possible exposure to virus' etc.

Good point. I've chaired our club clinic for several years and always try to schedule in the bitches in whelp (and young puppies) in first thing in the morning.