Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Drolly Dog and a growing concern - I may of just dumped a bowel of water.

I'm growing a little concerned. My 4 year old lab is Drooling a lot when sleeping. I may of just dumped a bowel of water, It would have been less of a mess. Last night her bed was so wet she jumped up on our bed and did the same thing. With the Altitude we are at in the mid-west and the amount of drool, I'm growing concerned that something is wrong. This is a New Habit. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thank you

Re: Drolly Dog and a growing concern - I may of just dumped a bowel of water.

My initial guess would be a bad tooth. Take a look and see if there are any teeth that are red around the gum or any bad smell. Good luck.

As the previous poster said, teeth could be the problem.

Another reason for drooling can be stress. Is this an old dog? My old girl started drooling and showing signs of stress (pacing) for no apparent reason. A vet visit couldn't find anything wrong. For her, a stretchy tee-shirt worked like Anxiety Wrap. When she paced and panted, I would put the shirt on and she would go straight to her doggy bed and fall asleep.

Good luck in finding the problem.

They drool if they have eaten a frog. Do you have frogs there ?

Get him to a vet today. Drooling this much should be considered a medical problem first. There are many reasons for drooling: foreign body stuck in the mouth, tooth problems, salivary gland problem, tumor, ulcers in the mouth, etc., etc.
He needs to be examined by a veterinarian rather than asking people on the forum and getting 10 different answers, none of which would be particular to this dog and it's problem.
Good luck and let us know what the problem was.

A drop in blood pressure, or blood sugar a possibility too. Are the footpads cold, or her ears? My first guess is something wedged between a tooth and perhaps into the gum. Def. go to the vet asap!