Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
NLR - Did anyone else in northeast PA feel the tremor?

At approx 1:50 pm my chair and desk and shelves shook at work here! Only lasted about 10 seconds. Guys in the shop also felt it, said racks and work tables were shaking.

Re: NLR - Did anyone else in northeast PA feel the tremor?

On CNN: Magnitude 5.8 earthquake shakes Virginia, D.C. and New York

01:58 PM ET

An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 5.8 struck near Washington, D.C., the U.S.Geological Survey said.

The epicenter was in Virginia. The U.S.G.S is saying that

The quake was felt in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, New York, and on Martha's Vineyard where President Barack Obama is vacationing. Cell phone service has been disrupted in New York City where parts of Manhattan have been evacuated.

"Everybody was told to take the stairs," Wolf Blitzer said, speaking live at 2 p.m. E.T. from CNN's D.C. bureau.

The Pentagon has been evacuated, CNN's Barbara Starr reports. "When the building began shaking rather violently, hundreds of people began streaming out," she said, because many people thought that the building was under attack. Starr was standing in the Pentagon's press office when the roof started to shake.

I felt it here in Toronto, ON Canada! Our sky scraper was a bit rocky

Felt it here in Frederick, MD

Yes felt it here in NJ. Building shook for about 30 seconds.

Link to map showing areas where it was felt.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/dyfi/events/us/c0005ild/us/index.html

There's a link on the page you can click on to fill out a short form report if you felt it.

Yes, it definitely was an "A-Ticket" ride here in VA! We are about 90 miles from the epicenter. The earthquake swayed the house and rocked the in-ground pool to the point of sloshing water out the sides.
Sooo...today is the earthquake and this weekend is Irene! Joy oh joy.

Wow Susan, water swishing out of the pool, now I can really visualize what it was like down there!

We were sitting out in the smoking lounge (aka garage) when it hit. It felt like someone was kicking my chair. My husband & I both said, "What was that?" at the same time, then realized we were also hearing the ladder that hangs on the wall shaking and figured out what was going on. Our oldest felt it out in the Kunkletown/Jonas area of PA, too. Youngest son (stationed at Langley AFB in Hampton, Va) was enroute to Richmond airport to pick up his girlfriend when it hit. She landed just before it hit, but he had no cell service to contact her. Luckily, she had service, so the younger son sent message via FB to older son who then passed it on to the girlfriend. Now, if the networks would just stop their non-stop coverage.

I'm in Milford, PA and let me tell you I thought my house came off the foundation. My dog looked at me as if he was saying "what the heck was that!!". Seconds before the quake I heard these weird beeping sounds. I thought my smoke detector needed a battery change.

Hancock, NH. I was at the library and asked the librarian if the building was moving and was there an earthquake. She laughed and said no but I was swaying back and forth! I thought I was on the computer too long or low blood sugar. I feel better now!

Fuuny story...

I was alone in the ladies' room washing my hands. I felt a jolt, then this swaying/rollling. I panicked, because I have Meniere's Disease, and have had several terrible attacks of vertigo that I experienced like that. I experienced the quake as an internal source with no one around to check it with, and thought it was my vertigo starting again. It was my only reference for the feeling. When I went into the hallway everyone was standing around. I asked what was the matter and only then did I learn it was an external source, being an earthquake, and not vertigo. I said to the MD standing there that he "made my day, because i thought it was vertigo." He said, "So, you'd rather a building fall down?" I said, "You never had vertigo." Hope all are okay.

Mary Ann Hart