Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Placing a Young Adult

Would you place a 2 year old adult with a couple in their 70's? Can you please explain in some detail why you would or would not. TIA

I remember reading on here once how a breeder placed a dog and the person became ill or passed away and the family did not offer the dog back to the breeder. They said they gave the dog away and the breeder had no way of knowing what happened to the dog. This is one of my concerns.

Re: Placing a Young Adult

No, I would not - for the reason you wrote and more. What I suggest to seniors is adopting a retired dog from a breeder. I tell people "age appropriate" adoptions and/or "senior for senior". Personally, I think most pet owners just do not remember what it's like to have a youngin in the house.

I absolutely would, but would stipulate that should something happen and they cannot take care of the dog, then the dog must be returned to you.
Older people in their 70s have much to offer a relatively young dog. Don't write them off because of their age. Especially if they have family members who can be counted on to contact you should their situation change. Just ensure that they will contact you "if" something happens.
Just my opinion, FWIW.

Breeder 99
Would you place a 2 year old adult with a couple in their 70's? Can you please explain in some detail why you would or would not. TIA

I remember reading on here once how a breeder placed a dog and the person became ill or passed away and the family did not offer the dog back to the breeder. They said they gave the dog away and the breeder had no way of knowing what happened to the dog. This is one of my concerns.

I often come here to read the posts; sometimes I come away with a heart lifted by someone's inspiring story, sometimes my heart is laden with grief for someone's loss. Sometimes I am educated or enlightened about a topic regarding our beloved Labs.

And then there are the times when I am simply in disbelief. This is one of those times.

So, would you sell a puppy to someone who has had a heart attack or stroke? What about cancer? Are you going to start asking for a medical report before you place your puppies?

Get over it. There are some people in their 70's and 80's that are more than capable and willing to handle and train a puppy. There are some in their 30's that I wouldn't let borrow my dog at the park, more or less take one home. And there are some, not yet in their 60's, who's dogs are their reason for living.

You do the best you can with evaulating placement for your puppies. You get your contracts approved by your lawyers. But after that puppy leaves your door, there is little you can do about that puppy unless you have a co-ownership. Even then, it is dicey.

Placing the puppies you put on the ground is a serious task and not to be taken lightly. But it does not give you authority to play God.

Susan M

And then there are the times when I am simply in disbelief. This is one of those times.

Whew! Me too, Susan! I'll be 70 in less than two years and thank God my breeder didn't hold that against me. My young pup is the light of my life and we do everything together! Anyone, no matter what their age, should have an "if something happens to me" plan in place and it would be entirely appropriate to discuss that with ALL puppy buyers. But to suggest that everyone in their 70's has one foot in the grave is a fine display of youthful arrogance and ignorance. If you're going to loose sleep worrying about the age of your puppy buyers then by all means set whatever criteria you're comfortable with but I agree, there are much more important things to worry about than age!

One of the founding members of our Lab club is in her 80's, is an active breeder and one of the most active volunteers in the club - she puts the younger members to shame. I think it all really depends on people as individuals and their commitment level. Some people are not physically able to care for an active dog; others are more capable than their younger counterparts. This is why we interview and evaluate prospective homes on an individual basis.

Well said Susan!!!

I did, and do not regret it! I talked with them about their age and the commitment to a young dog. This couple has had 5 labs in their lifetime, all wonderful family pets and some title holders also, he enjoyed field trials in his younger days. This older couple showed up with their daughter and grandaughter, who lived very close to them, and dog lovers too and assured me that they would let me know if something happened to them and also would love to adopt the dog then, as they spend a lot of time with their parents and the dog would know them well. The dog was a perfect match, very gentle and a much smaller girl, she was also obedience, house and crate trained. I hear from them every two weeks, and the dog never had it so good here with me. He takes her on two walks a day and has meant some new friends because of his dog and their walks. He tells me he gets up at 5:30 a.m. to feed her and walk her, then sits on a bench in the park where he waits for his new friends. The dog has broght new life and such joy into their lives, cannot thank me enough for such a wonderful companion! I agree that you do have to take extra precaution and interview thouroughly, but that is anytime you place a puppy or an older dog.

I have two different homes that are seniors...and each have worked out wonderfully so far.
Having control over where your pupster goes doesn't change because the owner is over a specific age. Anyone can give the dog away no matter if they are 20 something or 60 something.

First home, is a late 60 year old couple. They got turned down several times by others. They came to me, they were wonderful, and visited every weekend from 3 weeks on until the day of pick up. they drove 2 hours each way, thru every winter storm to get here to visit the pups.
Second home, is over the age of 70, and there he was running around the ring at the Potomac with one of our dogs (conflict in ring times). He probably is in better shape than myself.
I don't discriminate against their age. We've talked since the start about what ifs etc...and so far all is well.
NO REGRETS here!

Susan M. please don't take it so personal as if it was directed at you. The op asked a question to get some help with making a decision. Not so nice of you to come off on such a high horse. Sorry if we can't all be as perfect as you and always know how to make the right decisions.

I wouldn't based on a horrid experience. I placed a 2 year old with a younger senior man, in his mid to later 60's.

When he died of a sudden heart attack walking her, the 42 nieces and nephews let her go into a kill shelter never contacting me as stated in the contract. She didn't allow the police near him being protective of her owner so they maced her to get to him to perform CPR. They could not bring him back.

She was pulled but went from foster home to foster home, then finally into a home of a family with 2 young children. When they brought her for a health check up, she growled at the vet supposedly and was euthanised immediately.

Given what she had been through in a short time, growling at a vet should not have caused euthanasia. She had been maced and tossed from home to home.

I would rather see a dog in a home with younger people and perhaps children than a couple in their 70's unless there is a child willing to take her if something were to happen to the parents. Even then, it can be chancey. Anything can happen in any situation.

I would ask the senior couple outright, what if something were to happen to both of you? Do you have a family member that would absolutely take the dog? Not a bad question for any buyer of a pup. They may have just the right answer and bring the take-over caretaker in case of a death or tragedy to visit you. That might make you feel better about the situation, especially if the take-over care takers name was added to the AKC registration, on the microchip registration and in their will within a couple of months.

To the person with the question, yes, check them out and all depends on how active they and the pup might be.
And OMG, in their 60's. Like over the hill. Wait I have several dogs and pups and we are all very active, am I suppose to be sitting on a sofa ? 60's REALLY ? Does someone know something we don't know. Yikes !

How sad. A micro-chip with breeder and owner info would have saved the day!

=========

Experience
I wouldn't based on a horrid experience. I placed a 2 year old with a younger senior man, in his mid to later 60's.

When he died of a sudden heart attack walking her, the 42 nieces and nephews let her go into a kill shelter never contacting me as stated in the contract. She didn't allow the police near him being protective of her owner so they maced her to get to him to perform CPR. They could not bring him back.

She was pulled but went from foster home to foster home, then finally into a home of a family with 2 young children. When they brought her for a health check up, she growled at the vet supposedly and was euthanised immediately.

Given what she had been through in a short time, growling at a vet should not have caused euthanasia. She had been maced and tossed from home to home.

I would rather see a dog in a home with younger people and perhaps children than a couple in their 70's unless there is a child willing to take her if something were to happen to the parents. Even then, it can be chancey. Anything can happen in any situation.

I would ask the senior couple outright, what if something were to happen to both of you? Do you have a family member that would absolutely take the dog? Not a bad question for any buyer of a pup. They may have just the right answer and bring the take-over caretaker in case of a death or tragedy to visit you. That might make you feel better about the situation, especially if the take-over care takers name was added to the AKC registration, on the microchip registration and in their will within a couple of months.

How sad, no matter who you sell to - stuff can happen. In addition to micro chipping my babies before they leave, I give the new owners a magnetic business card with all my contact info and tell them to put it on their refrigerator. I have them point it out to family and friends - with the understanding that if their Labrador ever needs a safety net - I will be there ASAP! I have the cards made at vista print, very reasonable and so cute

Susan M
Breeder 99

I often come here to read the posts; sometimes I come away with a heart lifted by someone's inspiring story, sometimes my heart is laden with grief for someone's loss. Sometimes I am educated or enlightened about a topic regarding our beloved Labs.

So, would you sell a puppy to someone who has had a heart attack or stroke? What about cancer? Are you going to start asking for a medical report before you place your puppies?

Get over it. There are some people in their 70's and 80's that are more than capable and willing to handle and train a puppy. There are some in their 30's that I wouldn't let borrow my dog at the park, more or less take one home. And there are some, not yet in their 60's, who's dogs are their reason for living.

You do the best you can with evaulating placement for your puppies. You get your contracts approved by your lawyers. But after that puppy leaves your door, there is little you can do about that puppy unless you have a co-ownership. Even then, it is dicey.

Placing the puppies you put on the ground is a serious task and not to be taken lightly. But it does not give you authority to play God.

Why all the disbelief? Play God, huh? It is the same as asking about placing a puppy with young children as I have seen asked before on this forum.

What a great idea, magnetic cards for the refrigerator. I have placed puppies and young adults with people in their 60's and 70's and these dogs are the light of their life, sometimes the reason that they get up in the morning. I have a good friend that is 86 and has a 3 year old lab that he trains everyday, this dog almost has his Master title. This mans wife died and his dogs keep him going.

oh brother
Susan M
Breeder 99

Why all the disbelief? Play God, huh? It is the same as asking about placing a puppy with young children as I have seen asked before on this forum.

I'm not saying I would NEVER place a puppy or a dog with a 70 year old couple, but it is something to think about. I also don't understand the disbelief.

My last litter had a sweet couple on the waiting list who was excited to get a puppy. They were in their late 60s - early 70s. 4 weeks after the litter hit the ground the gentleman had a stroke and the wife had to devote her time to caring for her husband. She asked if she could pass on the puppy and get on my waiting list for the next litter. I returned her deposit but we stayed in touch. When the puppies were 8 weeks old I called her again and she had also had a stroke.

Like it or not, age can play a factor.

Do you sell to every 21 year old that comes your way looking for a pup and willing to pay? I don't. Why? Too many changes coming up where the pup might lose it's priority status. Moving here and there. New boyfriends/girlfriends, babies on the way.

Also there is the issue of safety. Some older adults are very active and healthy, but what if the young dog jumps up at them or their friends and knocks them over?

I think it's a valid question and one that can't be answered without knowing the couple. How active are they? How frail/ill are they? How much walking/exercise will the dog get? An older couple could be perfect because they have a lot more free time, but it could also be a disaster waiting to happen.

I've done it twice. Both times there were adult children who not only had dogs, but whose dogs and families would be well known to the placement dog. These families promised me that they would be there to support when needed and if something happened, the dog would be brought into their family. Both times it worked out fine....all are still doing great...growing old together at this point. Great lives for dogs and people....

Hello, If anyone knows of a black male approx 1 yr old, we would be interested in adoption. We live in NH. We have been searching a while for a high quality, english, perhaps "failed" showdog needing a great home. If anyone knows of one available, please contact us. Thank you, The Smith's