Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Average cost for hip/elbow x-rays?

We've been using the same vet for our hip and elbow x-rays for years. It usually totals up to about $350 for the entire visit (sedation, hips, elbows, and OFA fee). I was recently told by a fellow breeder that she gets hers done for $265 with awesome positioning. Sounds tempting! Now I'm curious as to what the average cost is- is her vet a great deal, or is mine a little steep? I'm guessing it will vary by region. FTR, we're in NE.

Re: Average cost for hip/elbow x-rays?

I got two dogs done for the price of your one. You could try a diiferent vet, even if just for x-rays.

Our vet charges 65 for OFA elbows, 80 for hips and 20 for sending it in to OFA. Usually its under 200 for hips and elbows.

The vet we use right outside of Philadelphia does not sedate and charges approx $250 hip/elbow and that includes the OFA fee. Its a tad less for prelims. I would talk to fellow breeders in your area, as that's how I found the vet I use

Would you mind sharing who you use outside Phila?
Thanks

On September 18th, LRCPV will hold their annual health clinic. OFA x-rays are just $200 for hips and elbows. It will be at Suffield Veterinary Hospital in Suffield, CT. There are still appointments available. Check out the LRCPV website and see the form. There is also a cardiologist doing auscultation and ECHO color doppler, as well as an opthomologist for CERF exams. Many blood draws are availble for additional tests.

I'm in rural western IL and the cost was $110 for hips and elbows, I pay the OFA fee...but that's without sedation.

$240 to $650. That does not mean the best is most expensive.

I used a vet on the low end financially, he was known to place properly. He charged me $240 including OFA fees for hips and elbows.

Hips were Excellent, Elbows were clear.

I would have been glad to pay him anything based on his reputation. Not using IV sedation or anesthesia kept the price lower than I ever heard of. He was a class act in PA.

I've paid as high as $600,there was completely incorrect placement due to *muscle*. My girl did not pass and I never went back to that vet that 2 breeder judges use.

The new vet is 2.5 hours by car each way no traffic. I will take the ride for any of my girls there. He does a weekly clinic twice weekly. I had to wait 2 weeks and he was well worth the wait. Techs were great too.

I pay $240 for the same without sedation.
You can always find a vet that does the x-rays without sedation. It makes a big difference on the bill and results.

Breeder
Our vet charges 65 for OFA elbows, 80 for hips and 20 for sending it in to OFA. Usually its under 200 for hips and elbows.

"$20.00 for sending it in to OFA"? I just sent in prelims and the office mailed them for me no charge. Could you be saying the OFA fee? No, that's not right either, because that is either $40.00 or $45.00.
What did they charge you $20.00 for?

Edited to add. I pay $240.00 for OFA hips and elbow x rays, and I am in the West.

I just paid $215 for hips and elbows. They were digital x-rays, and the price included mild sedation. The vet's office submitted them to OFA electronically (no charge), and I paid the separate OFA fee, for a total of $250. They also sent them to me, so I have copies.
Another vet I also use for repro stuff in our area charges $275 for the same.

Prior to that, the price was around $140 for the films they had to develop, and then I mailed them myself.

Sure can tell the difference with their new digital machine, though!

To those breeders in the PA/ Philly area could please PM me with their recommendations?
I will be looking to do my girl in the future and would love some names of those that don't sedate and are outstanding with positioning..
Thanks.

Kim S.

BDR,

I just pulled out my last invoice.

OFA Elbows 70.00
OFA Hips 110.00
Registation OFA 42.00
Shipping 3.00
subtotal 225.00
discount 18.00
total 197.80

For us it's $258 and that includes the OFA fee. We're in N.Idaho btw.

Can you email me what vet you went to? I am looking to get my 2 labs hips and elbows checked. Thanks.

Florida, $215.00 for everything, I pay OFA

$120 for traditional x-rays on hips and elbows without sedation. I paid OFA fees and mailed. Southeast AL.
Just shocked a trainer in FL with that price.

Around $200, hips and elbows, no sedation. Last 5 dogs have come back excellent hips and normal elbows. She does hundreds of OFA x-rays every year and knows what she is doing...she has always guessed right for me.

I just contacted Steinbach Vet and they quoted me $95 for hips, $95 for elbows and then the OFA fee which I believe is $40 or $45 tops. Other local breeders recommended them.