Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Fleas! Frontline not working!

We've NEVER had fleas here, until my husband rescued a kitten two years ago. I've been treating for ticks with Frontline for years, and even had the gall to brag about our lack of fleas over the years!

Last year we had fleas. I swore the frontline didn't work and capstarred everyone twice and ended up using advantage on the cat and advantix on the dogs.....seemed to work... mostly

Anyway, dogs are itchy again and I found a flea on one of them despite having frontlined her (frontline plus) two weeks ago. I've also used diatomacious earth on the rugs and just ordered some nematodes for outside.

Hate using chemicals, but hate bugs more. everyone is itchy! Any suggestions appreciated!

Re: Fleas! Frontline not working!

Our vet quit carrying Frontline a few years back due to its ineffectiveness in our area (southeast). Now we use Advantage II and are very happy & flea free!!

we have not had to many fleas over the past years even for being in the southeast. This year has been bad, Frontline seems useless as well. Ended up going to Advantix and spraying the yards. waiting for cooler weather so we can cut out chemical.

I use TripleSure...it's an all natural flea & tick preventative. Haven't seen one flea yet (or tick for that matter). I also spray them down with Skin So Soft, which seems to help repel the flies/gnats, etc.

Fleas! Frontline not working!

What are people using in the Houston area? Seems like my pups are scratching at 3 weeks after applying Frontline.

I have used Frontline Plus since it came out and have had no issues.

Merial does have a new guarantee: http://frontline.us.merial.com/prd_g.asp

If you purchased your Frontline Plus anywhere other than a veterinary hospital there is a chance that you could have counterfeit product.

Make sure you are also treating the house every 7-10 days (and throw away the vacuum bag b/c the fleas can live in there also).

Good luck!!

Benn through everything, Frontline, Advantage and some offbrand stuff. Finally tried Comfortis and it's working here in SC!!!

Unfortunately, Comfortis is a derivitive of a well known pesticide used to kill insects in wheat fields. Research has shown that it slowly damages internal organs on dogs,(liver etc.) over time. Yes, it works, but I would never think of giving it to one of my dogs.

Frontline stopped working over a year ago. Advantx took care of things. But does not work on cat. And yes, that is who brought it home to my dogs also.