Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Safe Haven from Hurricane Irene

I have a few extra kennels and can make some more if need be, if anyone needs safe haven. I am about 3 hrs from the Jersey Shore and NYC.....Be safe and proactive coastal people

Re: Safe Haven from Hurricane Irene

NJ Gov. Christie has declared a state of emergency for Saturday, specifically for the shore but, other areas as well. I, too, can help dogs in need - they would be in my house since I do not have a kennel. I live in Milford PA, very close to Sussex County, NJ.

Re: Safe Haven from Hurricane Irene

I am in the heart of it in Ocean County - helping take care of my ailing, injured mother in Toms River. I will move her inland a bit in Point Pleasant Borough tomorrow morning. Her home is on a peninsula, surrounded by Barnegat Bay, Silver Bay, Kettle Creek, and her home is on a lagoon. I live in the Denver area, and have never in the 28 years I lived in NJ (I won't tell you how old I am, lol), experienced a hurricane such as this one. If it hit the OBX, it would have slowed Irene down a bit, but it seems she will go a little East.

Landfall should be 5 miles from the Beach Haven barrier island. Where Mom's house is located in the Silverton section, the peninsula is 5 miles from the barrier island, and probably 30 miles or less north of Beach Haven/LongBeach Island.

I have packed up things, she is an invalid, moved her things to the house in Pt Pleasant, and will move her out tomorrow morning.

With hurricanes moving counter-clockwise, hopefully even with the new moon high tides, the water will not go over. Sandbagged the back yard, put down storm windows, and am praying a lot.

First an earthquake, and now this...hopefully she will have a house when the storm subsides. I sure wish we got her into Assisted Living this past week, but so much paperwork.

Pray for a big sneeze so that Irene heads East a bit.