Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yeasty Ears - Need receipe

I cannot find the receipe
Can someone post it and I will save to my computer this time. I printed it out last time and can't find it. Have been looking thru posts and also can't find. Thanks for your help!

Re: Yeasty Ears - Need receipe

I use a solutiom of 1/4 alcohol/3/4 vinegar which is what my vet recommended.

Try Laura of Kelrobin-Woodhaven's recipe. It works wonders. Caution with lighter yellow Labs if they'll be shown soon.

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html

BLUE POWDER EAR TREATMENT

INGREDIENTS

16 OZ. ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL
4 TABLESPOONS BORIC ACID POWDER
16 DROPS 1% GENTIAN VOILET SOLUTION

Mix together well in alcohol bottle and shake well. YOU WILL NEED TO SHAKE WELL EVERY TIME YOU USE IT TO MIX THE BORIC ACID POWDER. Or mix in dispenser type bottle (Clairol-type bottle.)

TREATMENT
Evaluate the condition of the ears before using and if very inflamed and sore, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PULLOUT HAIR OR CLEAN OUT EAR. Wait until inflammation has subsided I about 2 days.
Shake the bottle well each time before using. Floor ears with solution and massage gently to the count of 60. Floor ears again on first treatment and leave alone with out massaging as the dog will shake out the excess fluid.

TREATMENT SCHUEDULE
2 times per day for the first week to two weeks depending on the severity of the case.
1 Time per day for 1 to 2 weeks
1 Time per month

You will find despite the alcohol, the dog will not object to even the first treatment. The Boric Acid Powder soothes the ear. The Genitian Violet Solution is an anti-infection agent. The solution appears to work well on any and all ear problems from mites to ear wax to canker. After the 2nd or 3rd day you can clean out the ear with Q-Tips (carefully) or large cotton balls. The success rate for this treatment is 95% to 99%. Those who do not succeed have usually not done this treatment long enough or have not been regular about it. Dogs on the verge of ear canal surgery have been returned to normal with only the regular follow up treatment to keep the ears clean.