Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Whose kennel goes on (or first) on a stud fee puppy?

What's the standard proceedure?

Re: Whose kennel goes on (or first) on a stud fee puppy?

Whatever you all agree upon.

We put ours on first but put the breeders in as well.

Without a prior discussed agreement, as a courtesy, the breeders kennel name should be first.

The breeders name goes first unless there is a prior agreement.

Your name first on your pup and her name on her pup. Getting ready to do this now. But both names on full AKC name. Be fair. Have fun with this hobby. Just agree.

I always have to laugh when I see the strut dance. You know the one your dog does after they pee in the grass. Their back legs kick up the grass, ok rip up your grass, to make their statement. I am never happy about this practice of theirs!

In turn, I am never happy when I hear of the situation being discussed here either. Why would anyone want to take away from the "BREEDER." The stud dog owner provides the semen. That's it! Where is their planning in the litter that is being produced? Are they with the bitch owner whelping puppies in the middle of the night or worse driving to the vet clinic for the dreaded emergency c-section? Did they pay for the bitch's clearances and food for 2 years prior to being bred?

When I hear of this situation, I want to ask the stud owner who their parents were and how were they raised. Did you not get disciplined when you were being selfish with your toys? Because what is being described here is pure selfishness. Be honorable and let the bitch owner have their kennel name in front. After all they are the ones who planned the litter, will do all of the work, will sell the puppies, etc. Will you as the stud dog owner replace a puppy if there is an issue? Most likely not, but you will certainly want to steal someone's thunder.

Unless you co-own the bitch I say let the breeder have what's due to them ... RESPECT!

Besides, this pup may turn out to be butt ugly. I bet then you will say, "Oh, I'm not the breeder, so and so is!"

JMHO...
Michael

Michael you are too funny! I love the butt ugly comment! I'm sitting here in my office laughing (loudly) and my doc is in her office thinking I'm probably nuts! Thsnks for the humor! I always love reading your comments!

Michael I like what you said. There is a breeder in my area who is notorious for taking this kind of credit for successful dogs when they did nothing to deserve the credit. In some cases, the breeder has said they did not even like the bitch who they were shipping the semen for, but since she produced an outstanding winning stud they now have to take ownership of bragging rights. They may have bred something 3 or 4 generations up in the dogs pedigree and they are still taking the credit. A real glory hog IMO.

To answer op, the breeder name goes first on the puppy. Unless there is an prior agreement where the stud owner asked to have their kennel name on the puppy.

I agree the breeder's name should go first on the name. But I do think there are instances where it is ok to make other arrangements. I know a stud owner that had limited frozen semen on a deceased stud dog and the requirement for using it was that they would put their kennel name on the stud fee puppy. I think this is a fine compromise since they could have saved the semen to use on their own bitch.

For all the reasons Michael said, the breeder has the right to have his/her kennel name first unless an agreement was made to do something else. Having said that, on the AKC cert, in show catalogs, title certificates, and assuming common courtesy in all ads, the breeder's name is always listed anyway. That is why I don't worry much about this issue.

I agree with you Michael Silva!!

I love your humor as well Michael and miss you out here. Hope the hurricane is missing you guys on the East Coast.

I say it is what is agreed before hand and sometimes the stud owner has given the breeder a deal or pay for part of the breeding done. Also a leased breeding might have a different flavor. What ever is agreed. Don't think it is cut and dry as some are saying.

Well said Michael...and thanks for the visual picture of the dog scruffing up the grass...

How about on a jointly leased bitch (owner and stud owner for litter only) that the stud dog owner actually bred the bitch and her grandmother?
That change your tune about turf?
I don't think I'd have a problem with it either way but it's got my interest in how others feel.

What about the puppy you owed back to the breeder of a bitch you purchased as a puppy? You breed her, give back the pup owed and they put their kennel name on the pup? Some people are just low life. Face it. They want all the credit for doing nothing.

As I wrote above, I agree that most of the time it is the actual breeder's name that should go first. Co-owns, pups as part of larger agreements, etc. are individual circumstances. Also like I wrote, the breeder is usually listed anyway so I don't find dilemma that big of a deal.

But, it is a wonderful thing for an established kennel to show/breed a dog bred by a more up and coming breeder with the kennel name of that up and coming breeder first. What a great compliment it is to have a "famous" stud owner proudly use your kennel name first. This is just another example of an opportunity to do something nice for someone else. Sometimes you don't do things just because you have to, or just because you really should. Sometimes you should do something just because it is a really nice thing to do.

Unless you co-own the bitch I say let the breeder have what's due to them ... RESPECT!

I have only once left the breeder's kennel name off a stud fee puppy. You hit the nail on the head about the reason. The individual was very cavalier about how the whole business was handled and reneged several times on actually allowing anyone to pick a puppy, etc. Then sent HIS "pick" of the puppies to us sick and full of worms. We weren't sure it would survive for the first week. A large vet bill and several days on IVs later, the decision was made by us to name the pup using only OUR kennel name. The breeder had lost our respect completely.

I think Michael Silva summed it up perfectly!

The only thing I would add is that in the situation of co-owns my rule of thumb is whoever whelps and raises the litter should put their kennel name on first.