Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
OFA question

How long is it taking to get OFA results back? I had one of my girls done yesterday. My vet said she has nice deep sockets, no femoral head changes but the femoral head isn't as deeply seated as he would like. The last time she was in season was the first week of July - Any thoughts from anyone?

Re: OFA question

The last time I did OFAs was 4 years ago and the results were back in 2-3 weeks as I recall. On another girl I x-rayed, she came in season 1 week after the x-rays and she was Hips=Excellent and Elbows=Normal. Coming in season didn't make a difference, which is exactly what the tech told me. She said of the 1,000+ x-rays she had done, she could count on one hand how many results changed on the re-take. If you aren't happy with the result, you always have the opportunity to re-test, but I was happy with the results on that girl. She was just 2 years old when we did the films. Good luck with your girl!!

I did 2 girls in Dec (she came in season that day!) and April. Both took ~3wks. I think had I done the sedation as I normally do, positioning would have been much better on the Dec girl (she's a bit active, and one leg wasn't pulled as straight as it should have been) and we'd have likely gotten an Excellent instead of good-- but they also kind of scared me off there due to her being in season, so I didn't bother w/ the sedation...I was much more concerned about elbows/ injury w/her so wanted to get that out of the way for sure. Her grandma came back Excellent and I remember she came into season w/in days. Typically I'll wait ~3 mos from a heat cycle though.

I just had my girl done last month, 3 weeks to the day they received the xrays they posted her results on their website.(That's where I found out her results) 1 week after that I got her certificates in the mail. So if I were you I would start watching the OFA website in a couple of weeks. You may find out sooner on there rather then through the mail. Good luck with her results.

I had my girl done this spring at 6 years of age, and I am pretty sure it was about two weeks. She came back as Excellent

They are backed up right now. Sent mine in July 9th. They did not show them recorded till August 2nd. Recieved results in mail August 20.

A bitch that I bred was hip and elbow x-rayed in the middle of heat cycle and she came back as HD:A/A (which is the same as excellent hips) and ED:A/A (normal elbows)

My experience was different- had X-rays sent in on Aug. 9 and got the results in the mail several days ago. That was very fast in my opinion. The X-rays were obviously going to pass, so there probably was no controversy to slow things down.

We just did our girl's in mid August. They were digital, and submitted by email to OFA. We got certificates in the mail in just under 2 weeks.

I got today final results after 14 days and I got prelims back in 10 days. They were done the same day and sent digitally form the vet office.

Just got hips and elbows back on Aug. 27th, xrays were done on August 11th.