Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Thirst on pregnancy?

My girl is little over 7 week pregnant and I have been noticing that she's been drinking more than usual. Should I be worried?? Do you notice your girls being thirsty while their pregnant and especially the last two weeks of their pregnancy?
TIA

Re: Thirst on pregnancy?

In humans, I'd immediately think gestational diabetes if the thirst is excessive.

I don't know about where you live, but it's been pretty hot here. Are you sure her increased water consumption can't be explained by hot weather?
Another cause of increased water drinking is pyometra, but I would expect to see other signs (possible thick vaginal discharge, fever, inappetance, vomiting, depression, etc.) and the timing on that is usually about 4-5 weeks after breeding. Is she for sure pregnant? Have you confirmed pregnancy by ultrasound or xray?
Diabetes is always a possibility with increased thirst, but I would go with environmental reasons or hormonal first.
Good luck with your litter!

Thanks for the answers! Yes I am sure that she's pregnant, we got it confirmed by ultrasound and at this point it's very obvious that she's pregnant as she's quite big. I live in Iceland so don't think it's been too hot for her.
She's healthy in other way, eating, acting her normal self, no discharge. I just noticed that she drank allot more than normal.... She doesn't look like she's drinking too much these days though... I'll consult with my vet to make sure everything is OK. She's due in 9 days or so.