Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Canoe Labs

http://www.duckhillkennels.com/dogs/canoelabs.php

I'd love one of these small labs - if it wasn't a puppy mill......

Re: Canoe Labs

If you really like "canoe labs" contact me off list. I'm not a puppy mill!

That's no puppy mill. Their dogs have a purpose different than just producing pet puppies for money. They breed gun dogs. The fact that they breed many litters doesn't make them puppy mill.

Karlene
If you really like "canoe labs" contact me off list. I'm not a puppy mill!
This makes no sense. You're not that breeder or do you have 2 different kennel names? Your email says Tarkom and I know of a Tarkom Lab breeder but not the other kennel name.

So, are you 2 kennel names or feel your chocolates look similar to the dogs in canoes?

Are your KARLENE of TARKOM or this CANOE LAB person? Would the real Canoe Breeder please stand up.

This makes no sense. You're not that breeder or do you have 2 different kennel names? Your email says Tarkom and I know of a Tarkom Lab breeder but not the other kennel name.

So, are you 2 kennel names or feel your chocolates look similar to the dogs in canoes?

Are your KARLENE of TARKOM or this CANOE LAB person? Would the real Canoe Breeder please stand up. [/quote]

=====

Karlene does rescue for labs in need. Maybe that's the answer.

And has been breeding for a few years. Just got into the rescue.

Oh dear, I've really muddled things up here, haven't I? Sorry. I am Karlene of TarKom Labradors, not the breeder referenced by OP. I was using the "canoe lab" term to refer to the fact that I currently have 2 girls that are in the size category of the "canoe sized" labs on the website. They are lovely girls that I held onto because as pups they looked like they would outdo their mom size wise. They have not, and as they are third generation short I don't plan to breed either of them, or their mom again.

Most of my dogs are not small, but are the typical Lab size.

As far as the website goes, I know nothing about the program, the breeder, or the dogs, other than on his homepage it talks about them being small.

And yes, I have also been doing rescue for several years.

Hope this clears it up, and sorry for the confusion.

I've hunted ducks and a variety of other birds my whole life and I must say, doing it out of a canoe is not something I've ever done or would want to do. Most duck hunting we do is done from blinds or jon boats, with platforms to stand on if need be. I'll take a bigger dog any day that is quiet in the blind versus a smaller one that can't keep still and is so amped up they won't settle. Not saying all smaller field bred labs do this, but sure seen my fair share of it.

I met a guy who went crazy over my 62 pound girl. Said he was a duck hunter and while he loved his big boy, he did not fit in his boat's "dog box?" Not sure that is the right term, but the idea was a little dog would be perfect in his boat that was used exclusively for duck hunting.

many folks hunt out of canoes along the Suwannee and Whitlachoche River in North Florida. My large animal vet has three labs that hunt out of flat boats and canoes, all of them are under 55 lbs.

AVID HUNTER
I'll take a bigger dog any day that is quiet in the blind versus a smaller one that can't keep still and is so amped up they won't settle. Not saying all smaller field bred labs do this, but sure seen my fair share of it.

In the UKC hunting club to which I've belonged, I have seen many nervous and hyper very small Labradors. A rescue woman told me once that the closer to the standard, the better the temperament. She purchased a dog from me as a hunting partner for her husband because she had seen so many temperament issues in her rescue Labradors. She and her husband are absolutely delighted with my pup who is now 2 years old and 68 lbs.

sampsonlabs
many folks hunt out of canoes along the Suwannee and Whitlachoche River in North Florida. My large animal vet has three labs that hunt out of flat boats and canoes, all of them are under 55 lbs.

Why not just get a Boykin Spaniel - bred specifically for the job and environment you describe. Why try to warp the Labrador breed into another niche it wasn't originally intended to fit?

Guess if he wanted another breed he would have gotten another breed. He loves labs and hunts out of a canoe. So he found small labs for this purpose and he bought them.....what can I say?

They are not my lines, but I did have an amazing Ashway Willcare Impression ~ Mac daughter that was only 20 inches and 60 lbs. She could hunt with the best of them.

So...
sampsonlabs

Why not just get a Boykin Spaniel - bred specifically for the job and environment you describe. Why try to warp the Labrador breed into another niche it wasn't originally intended to fit?

I also have a "canoe" sized Lab bitch. She's out of a Willcare stud x Lobuff line bitch. At her heaviest she is 48lbs and is 19 1/2" at the shoulder. I jokingly call her my apartment sized Lab. She's been spayed for years and is over 11 now. She is great working out of a canoe / land / boat. Very easy to lift her into the boat by the collar at her size LOL

She does hunt and at the age of 11 passed her WC/ JH

Don't think anyone who desires a Labrador on the smaller side (for whatever reason) needs to develop another breed or go to a different breed if they want a 55# dog because according to the AKC standard, that's the low end of the average weight for a Labrador.

valwhalen
Don't think anyone who desires a Labrador on the smaller side (for whatever reason) needs to develop another breed or go to a different breed if they want a 55# dog because according to the AKC standard, that's the low end of the average weight for a Labrador.

=====

One would think so, but I've looked and not found any. Some breeders think I am crazy to ask for a small lab. My choices are to get a field lab (but I don't want the high energy), go to a breeder on Craig's List who doesn't do clearances, or to get a mix.

It really is too bad because I LOVE Labradors!

Small is beautiful

One would think so, but I've looked and not found any. Some breeders think I am crazy to ask for a small lab. My choices are to get a field lab (but I don't want the high energy), go to a breeder on Craig's List who doesn't do clearances, or to get a mix.

It really is too bad because I LOVE Labradors!

I understand. Maybe ask some of the breeders you've contacted to keep your contact info so you might talk further should they have a show hopeful they're considering rehoming because it didn't pan out substance or height wise for the show ring.

I was following up on the thought that was posted (quoted below), as it wouldn't be warping the Labrador into a another breed, according to the AKC standard, if someone was breeding for the lighter weight and/or smaller Labrador. That could lead into a whole other discussion about how competitive it would be in today's conformation classes.

"Why try to warp the Labrador breed into another niche it wasn't originally intended to fit??"

So...
sampsonlabs

Aren't we doing that anyway, but just in the opposite direction? Our big labs were never the standard.

Aren't we doing that anyway, but just in the opposite direction? Our big labs were never the standard.[/quote]
=====

Exactly! If I wanted a Newfie I'd buy one!

valwhalen
... if someone was breeding for the lighter weight and/or smaller Labrador. That could lead into a whole other discussion about how competitive it would be in today's conformation classes.

"Why try to warp the Labrador breed into another niche it wasn't originally intended to fit??"

A 55 lb. adult lab of either sex in the conformation ring today would be met with ringside snickers, OMG comments, and certainly no accolades from any judges I've seen for many years.

Well now....this would not be a problem..... since they will be enjoying their life in the canoe!

I showed a 50,YEP YOU BET a 50, lb Lab in the show ring and NO ONE snickered. In fact to look at her you would NOT have guessed she was 50 pounds. She was beautifully built. Even today at a whopping 55lbs, a touch overweight for her, you would never guess her at that size. If I could reproduce that over and over I would be extremely happy. She is very "english" in style and type. Not weedy or field-like.
How many of us are guilty of seeing a specialty lab and saying OMG he must weight 100lbs. But everyone says its just "substance" and THATS OKAY?????
I'd rather have my 55lb bitch!

So...
valwhalen
... if someone was breeding for the lighter weight and/or smaller Labrador. That could lead into a whole other discussion about how competitive it would be in today's conformation classes.

A 55 lb. adult lab of either sex in the conformation ring today would be met with ringside snickers, OMG comments, and certainly no accolades from any judges I've seen for many years.