Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
meds and the pregnat bitch

..well about to be bred bitch.

A couple questions;

I thought all heart worm preventative meds were safe for pregnant bitches. However, a week ago, just before my female went into heat I gave her Iverheart Max. After the fact, I read the package insert and it said that it was not tested on pregnant/lactating bitches. So, obviously, I will not give her that when she is due for preventative again, but after close to two weeks (prebreeding), will she be safe (for the pups sake)?

While I typically use just vinegar and water on her ears, I do remember that there we certain ear mess that pregnant bitches can not have. What are they?

TIA

Re: meds and the pregnat bitch

Anything with steroid in it you can't use. I only use vinegar and water to clean ears on a pg bitch - just to be safe.

Asked my vet about the wormer and he said it was fine. However, I only use a heartworm preventative after breeding as I don't want any unnecessary meds in her system.

anonbreeder
Anything with steroid in it you can't use. I only use vinegar and water to clean ears on a pg bitch - just to be safe.

Asked my vet about the wormer and he said it was fine. However, I only use a heartworm preventative after breeding as I don't want any unnecessary meds in her system.

Anything , that means for ears, skin, orally or any other ailment, steroids should not be used in a pg bitch.

A few breeders posted their stories in recent months and I thank them for doing so. The story that left me the most upset was about a litter with 8 of 9 to 10 CP pups in a single litter after she used I think Neopredef for a hot spot.

It's a great medication but obviously never to be used right before breeding or after. Amazing how that small amount of a steroid can do so much damage in early pgcy or later.

When in doubt, ask your vet please! You don't want to go through that type of heart ache with a much planned,wanted and special litter. Neither do I.

I discontinue use of heart worm medication but know of very few who do the same. I've never had a CP pup so far and had one pup out of a very large litter with a congenital defect in many years. Is that why? I don't know but I prefer it * better safe than sorry*.

Why the need to clean ears? Chronic ear problems is usually a sign of allergies. If this is the case then maybe you shouldn't be breeding her.

I use iveheart max as well, and for the longest I too just stopped heartworm meds all together for bitches that were pregnant or going to be bred in the next few weeks.However the risk for heartworms is so high in my area that I have just recently started using iverheart plus for those bitches to be bred/ have been bred. Max is not safe for pregnant and lactating bitches,I believe due to the praziquantel. The plus is only ivermectin and pyrantel so should be fine.

I will tell you that years ago I did give my pregnant bitch by accident 1 dose of iveheart max. That litter came out just fine but I would never risk it again.

Good luck on your breeding.

ears
Why the need to clean ears? Chronic ear problems is usually a sign of allergies. If this is the case then maybe you shouldn't be breeding her.

I didn't read "chronic" anywhere........hormones can cause gucky ears on lots of dogs at different ages and stages. Lighten up; nobody asked for a lecture from the "morality police".

Wag The Dog (1)
ears

I didn't read "chronic" anywhere........hormones can cause gucky ears on lots of dogs at different ages and stages. Lighten up; nobody asked for a lecture from the "morality police".

Thank-you! And there are no chronic ear problems. Some of my board and train dogs do, and DO use steroid ear meds. (none now, nor any until the hopeful pups go home). In fact, my dogs tend to have sqeeky clean ears, but I do keep them used to the process just in case.

I continue to use Ivermec in breeding or pregnant bitches. I've not had a CP in 20 years. I do give folic acid when the bitch comes into season and continue it through pregnancy.

Anything else I clear with my vet.

Wag The Dog (1)
ears

I didn't read chronic anywhere either but like I said "if this is the case".

Two sentences is not a lecture. More people should be questioned about symptoms of allergies because people will give you every excuse in the book to explain away issues that their dogs have. Allergies are definitely becoming a problem in the breed. Nothing wrong with getting someone to examine their conscience.