Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Jogging on Asphalt/timing on eating meals ??

I've been thinking of taking up jogging with some of my adult dogs. Nothing like marathons but just around our local trails. My question is, how hard is jogging on a dog's joints..asphalt type surface ? These dogs all have their OFA hips and elbows as well.

Also, how long before and ir after my dogs eat, can I take them jogging or any type of exercise ?

Re: Jogging on Asphalt/timing on eating meals ??

After spending many years running/jogging on ashphalt/cement......I'm paying for it now big time with bad knees which affects my back when they flare up. My 2 cents.....if you have to jog on this type of surface...buy the best shoes you can, ease into it for you & your dog and watch your dogs' feet as well. I think that running on a full stomach isn't a good idea for you or your dog so wait at least a couple of hours and don't run in the heat/humidity pls. Have fun!

www.purinavets.eu%2FPDFs%2FResearchReport_vol9-issue1.pdf&h=iAQC_dD6xAQBKWPWuGidNld3vrbo4URtOb-PhZa1LxlcgAw

I jog every morning and night, and I usually take the turf instead of the asphalt. The dogs do the same. Besides being hard on both of our joints, it is also safer as cyclists do not respect the lanes on the pathways. And you dont need to worry about vehicles.

I dont like working out on a full stomach, and so I suspect our dogs dont either. I do let them have a bit of kibble so that they have some energy, like for myself a snack bar - and then we do our morning trek, and come back for breakfast (once we have settled back in), same thing at night.

It is more or less what works for you and your dog. Pay attention to how they are feeling and watch for what works for them.

Excessive exercise after eating can cause gastric torsion so keep that in mind when you schedule your jogs.