Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Keeping a littermate to a dog with Elbow Dysplasia?

I have a young show prospect that likely has bilateral ED and will require surgery. The puppy is 7 months and has been limping on and off for weeks and initial diagnosis was panno, but today's x-rays suggest bilateral FCP. I'm going for a second opinion but that's not what this post is about. It's about her sister.

The other puppy I'm running on is gorgeous, so far sound, and ready to debut in the fall specialties. Because I am constantly evaluating and reevaluating my small breeding program I am considering letting her go to a pet home based on the fact that she has a littermate who is unsound. I know some may say 'don't throw the baby out with the bathwater' and others will say 'yes, cull the line, we have ED because people won't cull littermates to affecteds'. I'm hoping for some discussion and experiences people have had regarding littermates to affected puppies, and ultimately what they produced.

I will first off say that this is my fourth generation of clear hips and elbows. The puppies' mother is one of three in the litter that have passed hips/elbows/echo. She also has five 1/2 siblings who have the same clearances. The mother's mother and littermate are also sound with clearances (age 11), and their mother (age 14) is as sound as a 14 year old can be (she has hips and elbows, done at age 6). In fact, this is the first bad elbow I've had in this line in four generations. The sire and his littermate and 1/2 siblings also have all clearances, but I don't know if there are other littermates that have had orthopedic issues. His pedigree has several generations (back to when elbows weren't common) that pass.

I'm not one to put my head in the sand, nor do I cut my nose of despite my face. The puppy's mother is retired, but were she younger I don't think I'd remove *her* from my breeding program as a previous litter is sound, but I am wondering if I'm better off to just end this particular line since I have a half-sister and several first cousins that don't have littermates with ED.

Does anyone have experiences they wish to share, or some words of support/criticism? Thanks in advance.

Re: Keeping a littermate to a dog with Elbow Dysplasia?

It would seem to me that you have what I would consider a very good orthopedic picture around your line.In looking at the dogs that surround this puppy they seem to have been relatively sound.Unless you know of more that haven't in larger proportions to those that have cleared than it would seem that you should have less of a risk keeping this puppy than one where you know that while at least one or 2 from each generation passed but there were numerous others that seemed to be producing a larger than average amount of orthopedic issues.

Remember too that while your girl is from the same litter she isn't the same dog as the other puppy. Just like you can have half siblings that one side produces well but the other side doesn't and that side continues to perpetuate problems when bred on.

When I look at what I'm going to breed I look at the entire familial history/picture for a dog, one that has that better than average versus a similarly bred dog would be the one I would breed to.

I actually just went through the samething and after talking to a very good friend we have decided to keep the Bitch I kept (as it was a litter-brother that we found bilateral ED in) I would like to refer you to a good book written by Debbie Kay where she explains this exact situation and how she handled it in her breedings. I would say pick up the book as it is a good read and a good reference.

http://www.amazon.com/Labrador-Breeders-Handbook-Debby-Kay/dp/1412003296/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1314753822&sr=1-1

I would also say what do you want and or need from the line as to why it is important to retain from that line and then allow the parentage and orthopedic background along with what you want to do with your program long-term to help you decide.

Do you have a sister or brother? How would you like to be judged by your sibling's faults? i didn't think so. For some reason, we breeders easily fall into this trap. Unless you look on the OFA database and see that the entire line is riddled with bad elbows, in which case you should never have done this breeding in the first place, why would you assume the littermate should be discarded? Try to get a grip and use a little common sense.

I agree with all the above. I kept the sister, the family all around was sound. No other elbow problems. The sisters first pups have all passed. Think I would keep her and carry on.