Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Yet another standard

We have already covered several sections from the standard, but I realized that I left out comparison of the UKC standard. This was not an intentional slight, but an awareness that the UKC standard affects far fewer dogs than the AKC, CKC and KC (FCI) standards. However, if we are looking at possible models for improvement of the AKC standard, the UKC wording also has some ideas to offer.

The HISTORY section is truly an important addition to ANY standard. As I said earlier, the history provides a lens through which you can view the details of a standard. If you don't know where or why a breed was developed, you can easily overlook some of the most significant clues for type.

The ancestor of the Labrador Retriever was the St. John's Retriever, a smaller version of the Newfoundland. These dogs were brought to England, probably on fishing boats. Gamekeepers crossed these Canadian imports with various breeds of gun dogs, always striving to improve the breed's hunting and retrieving instincts. By the middle of the 19th century, the Labrador's characteristic water-resistant coat and otter tail were already apparent. By the late 1880s, the breed was sufficiently distinctive that "Labrador Retriever" became the generally accepted name of the breed. Originally black in color, the first recorded yellow Labrador appeared in a litter born in 1899. Chocolates were also recorded at about the same time, but never achieved the same level of popularity as the blacks and yellows. Originally bred to retrieve from water, the modern Labrador Retriever has proven to be one of the most versatile breeds, excelling in hunt tests and field trials, in obedience and agility events, and also as service dogs.

While I do not agree with some of the details in this history, it gives an overview of the breed as a working WATER dog. It also touches on the versatility in other venues without making it part of the breed description. It is one thing to say the breed is capable of being molded and used for diverse special purposes. It is quite another to include those special purposes in the General Appearance section as the AKC standard does. The ability to run field trials, compete in agility or be a service dog can each require a VERY different "General Appearance".

The UKC GA section gives a lot more specific information about the overall "look" of the dog - including ears - than any of the others.
General Appearance: The Labrador Retriever is a medium-sized, short-coupled, powerfully-built dog with a short, dense, water-resistant coat; small, drop ears; and a short, thick otter-like tail carried level with the back or with a slight upward curve. The length of body is equal to or only slightly longer than the height at the withers, and the distance from the elbows to the ground is equal to one-half the height at the withers. The Labrador Retriever is a dog without exaggeration, so light, weedy dogs; tall, leggy dogs; long, low-stationed dogs; and cloddy, lumbering dogs are to be equally penalized. The Labrador Retriever should be evaluated as a working gun dog, and exaggerations or faults should be penalized in proportion to how much they interfere with the dog's ability to work.
Well, they just couldn't keep from editorializing, could they I do like the last sentence as a general guideline, but the examples of undesirable appearance could have been left out. The section is supposed to tell one what the appearance SHOULD be, not what it shouldn't. This is just another example of how standards can say a lot without making a mental picture of the dog any clearer.

Re: Yet another standard

http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/labrador/labarticle6.htm

Printed in 2006, but a good guide.

Thanks. I knew I had seen this before, but couldn't remember where it was! The KC standard was updated in 2009, but the changes were minor.

The CKC Standard has also undergone a change since 2006. Here is a great article on early history written by Dr. M. Woods

http://www.dogsincanada.com/the-canadian-breeds-the-labrador-retriever

great chart

try this
http://www.canadasguidetodogs.com/labrador/labarticle6.htm

Printed in 2006, but a good guide.

I LOVE the comparison website!! I have been doing my homework on the standards and I tend to like parts of different ones more than others. I feel that UKC and AKC puts way to many words into something that can be outlined better. JMHO. I wish we could combined them all into one big global standard... Doubt that will ever happen though :(

Actually, there is pretty much a global standard. It is used everywhere but North America. I would love to see it adopted in the USA and Canada!

That is the beauty of the FCI standard. But is it thorough enough?

Rachael
I feel that UKC and AKC puts way to many words into something that can be outlined better. JMHO.

Oldtimer and FCI... I would LOVE to talk to you more privatly! You guys seem to be a wealth of information. Wouldn't mind an E-mail sometime Promise it will stay confidential...