Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
EIC comments from Cornell vet

I got into a conversation about EIC with a Cornell veterinarian last week, and she believes the current test is flawed. Her opinion is partly based upon a client who has a Lab that exhibits all the standard EIC symptoms (the dog has been videotaped having an episode as well as thoroughly examined) yet who tests negative for EIC. She also has numberous clients whose Labs have tested positive for EIC yet have never collapsed, even those with very high prey drive and excitable temperaments. Because things don't seem to be adding up, the vet has been in contact with the University of Minnesota, who told her that they, too, have heard from a large number of people with affected Labs who claim their Labs are not collapsing (primarily from show lines). They are also very interested in the EIC negative Lab that is collapsing. Because of these abnormalities, U Minn said they will be looking into the possibility that there might be another factor involved that has heretofore been overlooked.

I wonder if this is why Cornell is not involved in testing for EIC. One would think Optigen would be jumping on board.

Re: EIC comments from Cornell vet

Could not agree more. The incidence of EIC would be sky high if the current test were in fact complete and correct.

I posted a while ago suggesting that the breeding stats would indicate many carriers were bred to carriers and even affecteds would be bred. This being the case, why don't we see so many more labs collapsing?

I ask a lot of vets and no one has seen it.

I think that Optigen, (the never popular) Ingen, and other testing sites are really just trying to get more money from us ETHICAL breeders by scaring us to test for things that aren't really apparent in our dogs. JMHO

EIC is not understood completely. In that sense, the test is not complete. But nobody is pretending that it is.

The current EIC test is only for 1 particular gene that does play a major role in the condition. It is really good not to have that gene. It doesn't seem to be too big of a deal if you only have 1 copy of it. It is not necessarily terrible to have 2 copies of that gene but anybody with any common sense would want to avoid that.

It is simple to avoid having 2 copies of the gene.

I look forward to when they know more about EIC.

But life is good. No controversy here.

I don't know how long you've been in labradors but PRA was a big deal 20 years ago. I've had personal experience with it and I know of many other breeders who have. We should all be grateful to Optigen for coming up with the test.

I've never had experience with EIC but I believe it was misdiagnosed many times. It's nice that we have tests for these diseases so we can breed away from them. JMHO

I'm grateful we have such wonderful technology working for us. LIFE is not an exact science but simply facts that we should use to our best knowledge. We, as breeders, have to be patient, be smart, keep our cool and use the good brain that God gave us. Rome wasn't created in a day...... nor will the answers about EIC

What in the world will the Labrador investigators on this forum do now. Maybe they can think of a new test that everyone can investigate so as not to lose face. ellie

Interesting: Just today I was having a discussion with fellow Lab friends and hoping that the EIC research would be continuing-

EIC, not PRA. Comparing the two is not valuable. What is valuable is the point that many nice stud dogs are being overlooked because of a EIC status. Think about it, how many "carriers" are being ignored.

What a shame that one incomplete test has breeders in a tailspin. Breeding to clearances has become vogue.

Nope, no tailspin that I can see. I am so glad there is an effective test that helps me breed my affected bitch who has collapsed. Without the test, I would not be able to breed her. I look forward to when we learn even more.

redeerb
EIC, not PRA. Comparing the two is not valuable. What is valuable is the point that many nice stud dogs are being overlooked because of a EIC status. Think about it, how many "carriers" are being ignored.

What a shame that one incomplete test has breeders in a tailspin. Breeding to clearances has become vogue.

redeerb

I highly doubt it's just 1 dog with this profile at Cornell or other teaching facilities.

Sure there are dogs that are affected and collapse but I've heard of enough dogs that are not testing affected and are also collapsing and dogs that test affected that never collapse.

My opinion is, the test was released too soon. It's not complete in my opinion yet I still test my Labs. So far, I'm not faced with a decision whether to breed or not as all of my Labs happen to be clear.

We all need to do what we feel is right. Same as those of you that don't want to do echo dopplars and don't care if a stud dog has it done. I feel TVD is much more serious of a disease yet I don't see anyone jamming echo dopplars down anyone's throats the way EIC testing is. ~jmofwiw~

Nope, not jamming anything down your throat. I just won't consider your stud dog without the test. I can't. That simple.

think it's just 1?
I feel TVD is much more serious of a disease yet I don't see anyone jamming echo dopplars down anyone's throats the way EIC testing is. ~jmofwiw~

PS it is not just Cornell vets with doubts -discussions with vets at Ohio State also believe it is a flawed test.

reality
Nope, not jamming anything down your throat. I just won't consider your stud dog without the test. I can't. That simple.

think it's just 1?
I feel TVD is much more serious of a disease yet I don't see anyone jamming echo dopplars down anyone's throats the way EIC testing is. ~jmofwiw~

You missed my point. I WON'T EITHER unless my bitch is a clear!

What I want to know is WHY will breeders of bitches breed to boys that don't have a color echo dopplar yet breed an EIC carrier bitch to an untested stud-dog was my question. eh?

And I don't have any stud dogs!