Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Epilepsy genetics

Until there is a reliable test, should we assume that epilepsy is a dominant with incomplete penetration gen?

Re: Epilepsy genetics

Breeder
Until there is a reliable test, should we assume that epilepsy is a dominant with incomplete penetration gen?

No that would be for TVD, epilepsy appears to be recessive but perhaps not a simple recessive. Time will tell when they finish with the research.

The best research I can find in humans is that it is a multi-factored problem. One of the elements is dominant (spike) and one is recessive (damping). There are probably many others that control expression as well. The more I study, the less I feel like we really understand this disorder.

Any geneticist that want to give their professional opinion?

I looked through the epilepsy research posts and the following is from 12/14/09

"In light of the recent discussion on the Wiscoy forum, I asked Liz what the researchers have learned about epilepsy inheritance. So this is “from the horses mouth”. The researchers have found NO evidence that the mode of inheritance is dominant. They have found patterns that indicate inheritance is either recessive or possibly polygenetic.

Liz also said there is more than one form of epilepsy. The genes would be different, plus the seizures themselves would appear differently."

Thanks Joan.