Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
5mo heat cycle

My 6.5 yo bitch (who I was planning to breed a final time)surprised me a couple days ago by coming into season early. Normally, she cycles on 7 mo avg. This one was only 5mos, and probably because a daughter came in ~5 wks ago, and another girl 2 wks ago.. It's hormone city here, iow! Should I be concerned about the shorter heat cycle from a fertility standpoint? TIA-- Anne

Re: 5mo heat cycle

My 4 year old bitch who cycles like clockwork every 6 months came in her last cycle a month early. I'm happy to report that she is most definitely pregnant. So, no, you need not to worry.

Hi Anne;

I have a bitch who had a litter last oct., and then surprised me by coming in season in march! ( she normally cycles every 11 mos! ) I went ahead and bred her ( she is going to be 6 yrs next month, so getting to the end of her breeding life ), and she had 9 healthy babies in may!

Cecilie
Hi Anne;

I have a bitch who had a litter last oct., and then surprised me by coming in season in march! ( she normally cycles every 11 mos! ) I went ahead and bred her ( she is going to be 6 yrs next month, so getting to the end of her breeding life ), and she had 9 healthy babies in may!

Wow! Okay, now I feel a LOT better. Thanks!

I actually own a 4 year old girl that cycles normally on the 5 mos to 4 mos cycle. And actually one time she cycled at about 3 3/4 mos cycle.
Nice normal heats. And on the times she is bred,her progestrone seems normal in elivation and actually normally rises pretty fast. No split hits with her.
I think its possibly because your other labs brought her in .
shes probably just fine .

I had a girl who cycled every 5 months like clockwork. Bred her 3 times and got nice sized litters each and every time and never a miss with both fresh and fresh chilled. A "fertile Myrtle" for sure LOL

FWIW, her daughters all have more typical spans between heat cycles of 7-9 months and they too have been easy to get in whelp.