Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
All about coats

Whats the difference between shedding and blowing coat?

Re: All about coats

Will be interested to hear responses.. I would think it depends on breed. ie. Malamutes BLOW coat.They have an undercoat and a guard hair coat. The UC comes out in specific time of year /after puppies depending on the indiv. dog. I would think, like Labradors...dogs w/o a true undercoat just shed their coat, as hair recycles.

To me shedding is what they do in the house every day. They drop hairs, but do not look like they are going bald.

Blowing coat is what they do about twice a year when they drop top coat and under coat and look like they are going bald. Bitches do it after a litter just when all of the puppy buyers come to pick up their puppies! LOLO

Shedding is what they do daily...as much as they take a breath they shed. Blowing their coat is what they do when you spend a BAZZILOIN dollars on entry fees for Specialties and the Nationals. It's an instant response...you put the checks in the envelope, stamp them and go to the post office and mail those entries. Then you go home to find what appears to be a giant Chinese Crested standing in the middle of a heaping pile of hair....now that's coat blowing!

JanisG and Melody hit the nail on the head. Perfect. Dead-on. Absolutely correct. Happens every time.

Melody Losea
Shedding is what they do daily...as much as they take a breath they shed. Blowing their coat is what they do when you spend a BAZZILOIN dollars on entry fees for Specialties and the Nationals. It's an instant response...you put the checks in the envelope, stamp them and go to the post office and mail those entries. Then you go home to find what appears to be a giant Chinese Crested standing in the middle of a heaping pile of hair....now that's coat blowing!

JanisG
To me shedding is what they do in the house every day. They drop hairs, but do not look like they are going bald.

Blowing coat is what they do about twice a year when they drop top coat and under coat and look like they are going bald. Bitches do it after a litter just when all of the puppy buyers come to pick up their puppies! LOLO

I completely agree with Jan. My bitches blow coat after a season or a litter. They shed some coat constantly throughout the year. Look at my Dyson cannister to confirm they *shed* year round lolol.

I forgot another. Labs also blow coat in time for The Potomac or any large specialty you're looking forward to.

Perfect reply!!!