Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
pig rails

what is the best design for pig rails for a whelping box.

in the past, I used pcp pipes on 2 sides or nothing.

we built a bigger whelping box made with plywood. The floor is covered with linoleum, and I am looking for ideas for pig rails that serve its purpose, easy to clean. I also want them to look nice.

Re: pig rails

We built our own. We used PCP pipe. I like the effect. The bitch can move it if she pushes real hard but its still effective. It cleans up easily, and looks good. When we were done, ours cost about $60. to build. I can take it apart my self and store it, the pip goes in a bag and the sides store flat. I liked the first one we built so much we built a second becasue i do occasionally have 2 litters at the same time.

breeder
what is the best design for pig rails for a whelping box.

in the past, I used pcp pipes on 2 sides or nothing.

we built a bigger whelping box made with plywood. The floor is covered with linoleum, and I am looking for ideas for pig rails that serve its purpose, easy to clean. I also want them to look nice.

We also have a plywood whelping box with a floor of linoleum. We built pig rails of 2 inch PVC piping with 4 corner pieces holding it together in a rectangular/square shape, it has little 3 inches long legs of 1 inch diameter PVC which fit into end caps that are screwed onto the corner pieces.

This is very easy to clean and is easily removed when no longer needed. We keep the whole pig rail set up in one piece and hang it up in the garage when not in use.

I'm not so handy, so when I inherited a plywood box I went looking to buy rails and found them here: http://www.roverpet.com/dogs_cats/accessories-en/puppy-rails-en/4-wide-x-4-long-en-2-3-4-5/ You may be able to make them for cheaper, but if you're like me you can click and they can appear at your door! LOL.

We drill 1x2s in the box or use a 2x4 about 3 inches from the floor. the 1x2s we put an inch or 2 gap between that and the side wall. We us a 1 x 4 for the sides with plywood on for the floor... Then we buy the stick on linoleum squares so it is easy cleaning the floor, and put that on the plywood. It works GREAT! Very easy to clean and then when it wears out it is cheap to replace :)

We used 2" PVC pipe, and put feet on each corner, so it fit snug in the box, but wouldnt drop lower than we wanted it to....could be easily removed. Worked great. I can send pics, email me if you like.
ypaddack@hotmail.com