Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
fleece blankets for whelping box

I need to get some new blankets for my whelping box, can someone please tell me the best place to get them.

I have been using regular blankets, but I read the fleece ones are better.

Re: fleece blankets for whelping box

I went through many fleece pads(had grommets sewn in the corners to tie out behind the box corners to keep them taut) and one day came upon the durawhelp pads. I kid you not, hands down they are THE best pad around! Nothing beats them in my book. I don't even use the velcro corner strips they come with. Don't need to they stay in place.

I agree! I've also gone to a good fabric store and bought their thickest fleece and cut to size.

Many years ago I bought fleece and sewed it to 2 bath towels that were sewed together, side by side. The urine goes through the fleece and the bath towels absorb it, then newspaper under that. I can't find the fleece at the fabic stores anymore. If anyone has a soruce I'd appreciate it.

I can't help you w/ your question but wanted to say that that is a great idea you have.

I use a heavy duty paper box liner under my pads during whelping time and then for the first two weeks. Then I go to those hospital bed pads(wouldn't be w/out them) and lay them in one corner..Babies go to it for their potty area while still in their box. Then when they come out, I have found they go to their litter area quite easily. Of course you always have those few girls(doG bless them) that miss who think because their front end is on the potty spot they are good to go ~

I sew two bath towels side by side. I do it twice then sew them together around all the edges. They are heavy, don't slide around every time Mom jumps in the box and they do double duty as crate pads later on. Sometimes I put cute bindings around the edge too. I can wash them in super hot water, bleach them, etc. I have a few durawhelp pads, which are great, but these fill in during the daytime as I find myself changing pads more than a few times a day as they start getting older and I hate to put the Durawhelp pads in the dryer. The durawhelps were $50 each. Four bath towels cost me less than $20. I'm always buying cheap towels for crate mats anyway.

What
I sew two bath towels side by side. I do it twice then sew them together around all the edges. They are heavy, don't slide around every time Mom jumps in the box and they do double duty as crate pads later on. Sometimes I put cute bindings around the edge too. I can wash them in super hot water, bleach them, etc. I have a few durawhelp pads, which are great, but these fill in during the daytime as I find myself changing pads more than a few times a day as they start getting older and I hate to put the Durawhelp pads in the dryer. The durawhelps were $50 each. Four bath towels cost me less than $20. I'm always buying cheap towels for crate mats anyway.

do you put a total of 4 towels together to make this?

i have been using blankets, and they move when the mom jumps in the box. also, they re-arrange them, and sometimes the puppies hide under them.

I need somthing better than what i have been using forever

I've used cheap nylon bath rugs with the rubber on the back - they bleach great and dry quickly. They don't move when mom jumps in the box and with the nylon they don't feel wet to the touch either.

This website has the best supplies, the best prices, everything! The pads are a little expensive but extremely durable! They have a rubber backing so the pee goes through the first layer and gets trapped by the rubber. The puppies are protected from the pee and so isn't your floor. No need for the extra blankets under it. The rubber helps keep the pad in place too!
http://www.ezwhelp.com/BuyNewWhelpingPads.htm

Yes four towels.