Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Puppy strangles

I was wondering where does this stand with a puppy's guarantee. I give 1 year for congenital problems. Should I consider this a congenital immune problem?
The puppy is 4 month old and left at 8 weeks.

Re: Puppy strangles

If it were me, I would not be giving money back or puppy returns on Puppy Strangles. It is easily cured with Prednisone and Antibiotics assuming the breeder or new owner gets the puppy to their vets in a reasonable time.

We bred one of our girls who had puppy strangles. The entire litter came down with it. So far our girl who had puppy strangles has gone on to have 2 litters and none of the pups had Puppy Strangles. Some articles I ready about PS say that it is an auto immune issue but to me an auto immune issue is something that doesn't go away..like allergies.

Currently have a 13 week old girl I purchased from another breeder, who is just recovering. While its not necessarily something for you to cover, as a breeder, I would cover this.

Not only does it not matter that you didn't cause it, but the poor owners who are just falling in love with this puppy will feel like they got a lemon, ESPECIALLY if its discovered in the first or second week home.

I am a breeder, and knew right away what was going on with my puppy when I opened her crate at the airport. Of course, her breeder said she was fine before she got on the 3 hour flight...and somehow I received a puppy with strangles.

I know its not the breeder's fault, but if I were a pet person, I'd be more than disappointed and full of worry about more than just that about the puppy. $200- for vet visit, prednisone and antibiotics will go a long way in keeping your puppy people happy with you.

Just sayin'. Its my opinion. But then, I also cover elbows.

Sometimes its about more than the money.

I wouldn't cover it. The next thing you know, breeders will need to refund for worms, coccida, giardia, kennel cough, etc.

I try to be an honest person, and if the puppy is "sick" before it leaves me, I am certainly up front and take care of anything I can.

And maybe there is a different level of feeling responsible if you PICK the pup for a family and it's the only one with the problem.

And there is a difference between "covering" it and "helping" the new puppy owners. I wouldn't cover it, but if this was the only puppy with the problem I might offer to pay part of the vet costs to me nice. I would explain WHY it's not covered, but then that you want to do right by them.

strangles...ugh...

I am a breeder, and knew right away what was going on with my puppy when I opened her crate at the airport. Of course, her breeder said she was fine before she got on the 3 hour flight...and somehow I received a puppy with strangles.

Well the vet that did the health certificate must have missed it too. I'd be unhappy if I received a puppy at the airport with strangles...geesh

I've been told by a number of vets it's due to an immature immune system, no long term effects.

As for getting a puppy off a plane, perhaps just the stress tiggered it.

I've had in over the years in 4 to 5 week old pups and as a previous poster stated, if you catch and treat early it's not a big deal.

Knock on wood I've had one case of strangles in 18 years. I called my vet about it and he had very good advice. The treating vet was ranting that it was genetic. My vet reminded me that if I offered money back (even if just for medical bills) that was next to admitting guilt and agreeing with their vet the puppy had a genetic problem. So, instead I offered to care for the puppy while it recovered to help the new owners. I also offered to pay for them to have a second opinion at my own vets. They refused but I felt I was being reasonable while also protecting myself. In this sue happy society sometimes you have to meet them halfway but never forget about protecting yourself. Sad it has to be like that.

We all have had strangles, and if not, sit tight because you will. It is treatable and for the breeder who got the pup with the PS..........much like Mastitis or a hot spot it will surface on the turn of a dime. Yes shipping pups esp. at that age (puppy) anything will surface like even Giardia that wouldn't if that pup stayed home. I always warn my puppy buyers to "please" stay home with your new pup for at least a solid week. Meaning no crowds visiting to oo and aaaa. Also STAY home and do not take puppy for a walk in the neighborhood. All this is for the puppy to have their brain and body adjust. Otherwise you do risk the chance of many stress related things to surface.

Sensible answers. I too kept my strangles puppies for quite some time and treated. I gave the owners meds to finish out the weaning process and did house calls to check up on them after they were well. If a puppy developed the illness after leaving I would probably provide the meds and offer to take the puppy back and get it well, or give them their $ back and find a new home when the pup is well. I am grateful noone gave up on my strangles litter. Trust and honesty about the situation is so important. I'm happy to report the tykes are 16 months and well although a couple may end up a bit shorter than they would have.

When I said I would not guarantee something like Puppy Strangles, I meant that I would not be giving monies or puppies back. In the first place, if whichever breeder sent a puppy on a plane to you and she is claiming it was healthy when she put the pup on the plane, I would seriously question the honesty. Sure puppy strangles can come on fast and unless your puppy was on a 12 hour flight, I can't imagine how a puppy would come down with the sores from Puppy Strangles on a short flight. If you only saw one small sore on your new pup's ear or around their eye, that might have been over looked by the breeder who sent the pup to you. Coccidia is something that I could see happening more quickly due to stress.
My puppy I bought from a breeder developed Strangles while still living with the breeder. She saw it right away before it got out of hand. Her vet had all the pups on Prednisone and by the time the pups turned 8 weeks old, they were all healthy. This is not something an alert breeder can overlook nor should their vet doing the health certificate before sending a pup on a plane should have seen to. I guess I would have to know just how many sores and where were these puppy strangle sores on your puppy when you arrived at the airport...