Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Looking for the right "Dogmobile"

Looking for a used vehicle that will fit two dog crates in it, SUV or small mini-van, not wanting to transport a herd of dogs, just 2 in crates. Low clearance preferable so dogs don't have to jump so far. Maybe an older model CRV? New ones not dog-friendly in my opinion.
If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most grateful. I do not know cars that well, and wish I had never sold my old Dodge Caravan, and maybe that's my only option!
Looking for good mileage also of couse.
Thanks for any help!

Re: Looking for the right "Dogmobile"

I think you might've answered your own question, lol. If you only need 2 crates, I'd definitely look into a Dodge Caravan/Chrysler T&C. I absolutely LOVE my T&C! The Stow'N'Go option comes in very handy too! It's going to be hard for me to consider giving it up within a year or two and moving into to something bigger...

Good luck!

If you can find a good used Toyota Sienna you might want to consider that too. Nice and low to the ground too not like most of the SUV's.
I had a Town and Country before that and like my 2007 Sienna much better. Just rolled 100,000 miles and will not be getting rid of mine.

I still love my Grand Caravan with the stow 'n go seats. I never thought I would want these seats, but I love em. Especially since we don't have to store a bench and 2 quad seats in my garage. And with the power doors, it sure saves on my weary old wrists having to slam them closed.

Love my Toyota Sienna.
Can put four 36" crates if needed.
Sliding automatic side doors with windows that go down plus sunscreens!
Very good gas milage too.

I just got a grand caravan this summer and I'm quite happy with it. I can get four 36" crates in there and have plenty of room on top for luggage, xpens, etc. I'm happier with the height for jumping in and out than I was with my yukon xl.

plus the toyota comes in AWD, great for driving in the snow.

Any advise on a smaller vehicle for 1 - 2 dogs? Max would be 3 dogs and gear. Good gas mileage?

Looking for the right "Dogmobile"

To Sienna Owner
I was just on the Toyota Sienna site, checked out the interior tour. The back 2 seats go down nicely, do you put 4 crates - 2/2 on top of each other or side by side - just curious - or did you take out the other 2 passenger seats?

You can do it three ways:
A, For 4 crates, fold down the back seats, unlock the middle seats and lift them out. You not only have room for two crates side by side but you can slide your canvas portable crates in-between. Just an added note, sheets of 4' X 8' plywood will fit in this space and allow you to shut the tail gate. Actually the space is bigger in the Sienna than the TC. We looked at the TC, Odyssey, and the Sienna when we bought ours. The TC was two small in the back after the redesign. The Odyssey was about $3,000.00 more for the same thing as the Toyota. We have gotten an average of 21.3 miles per gallon since we bought it and as an added note it will tow 3,000 pounds.
B, If you don't want to take out the middle seats just flip them up and 3 crates fit with lots of storage room left over.
C, For just two crates just fold down the back seats, two fit great side by side.

Bought an Odessey last year and we can get 2 crates in the back and still carry passengers in the back seat. When we remove the back seats, we can get 4 36" crates in along with gear. On highway driving, we got 31 MPG. We love it.

Or my 4th way of doing it, middle seats out, rear seats out, deck over the whole thing, 3 crates (could be 4 but i have 3 dogs so 3 crates) the spot where the rear seats fold into makes a lovely trunk that holds all my shade tarps, rain gear, obedience gear, shoes, boots, first aid kit and other assorted dog show junk. Jumps slide under the platform as does spare chairs and tables....

Love my sienna!!! 148k miles and going strong