Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Crate size

What size crate do you recommend for an adult lab? Just for sleeping in at night. TIA
Melissa

Re: Crate size

I use 42 inch crates and they are plenty big for the 80-85 lb males. A 48 inch crate is harder to place around the home, but certainly would give them more room. I think mine actually like the walls touching them, as 2 or 3 will pile up in one crate when the door is open and they pick the smaller ones over the large.

48" crate for all
I like them to have as much room as possible

Each of my boys have 42" crates. The crates are large enough for them (70, 80 & 85 lbs). I bought crate wheels at Petsmart so that I can roll the crates out of the way and vacuum underneath them. I use bath mats with the rubber backing (they aren't chewers) for their blankies.

Thanks. We've always used 48", but had a puppy buyer who wants to buy a 42". Good to know it will work!

I have one old dog with spondylosis and he is in a 48 inch crate because he cannot turn around in a 42. Otherwise, all my dogs are in 42's.

LOL, I have one boy that loves to sleep in a 36" vari-kennel. No, he doesn't NOT fit, but he goes in and curls up and LOVES it.

My girl all sleep in 36 inch crates, and have plenty of room.

I only use 36" wire crates - plenty big for the boys, but they usually sleep in their kennel runs unless someone prefers a crate. The girls sleep in 36" wires too, but inside there are 36" and 30" plastic crates and the girls are always wanting to sleep in the smallest crate possible (doors are left open all the time and the smallest crate always has a line to get into it).