Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help....Bitch that I can't get in whelp....

I know it's been on the forum before..... I just can't remember what the answer to this question was..... I have a bitch that I have bred that has not gotten in whelp. What was the antibiotic recommended ? Thanks

Re: Help....Bitch that I can't get in whelp....

Not to sound rude, but I would be calling my vet Nancy, I wouldn't be expecting the answer here on the forum especially when its a pregnant bitch and possible drugs are involved.

Good luck in a safe delivery.

I am in the same boat with one of my girls right now. Progesterone was spot on and semen was excellent. We are going to start with a thyroid test. Next time will do a surgical and my repro vet will look for abnormalities.

I think some girls may be sensitive to extenders as well...so maybe try a natural if possible (assuming you are not). I had a girl years ago that I could never get bred when we did fresh chilled. Progesterone was always right on. When we bred her naturally...always got nice litters. Go figure.

Sorry...just reread your post. I am pretty sure it is Baytril? I know that we did a culture to see what bacteria were there and what the sensitivity was...but ended up using Baytril I believe.

I'm confused. You can't get her "in whelp" or you can't get her pregnant? Doesn't "whelp" mean labor and delivery, or refer to the newborn pup?

Breeder
I know it's been on the forum before..... I just can't remember what the answer to this question was..... I have a bitch that I have bred that has not gotten in whelp. What was the antibiotic recommended ? Thanks

She can't get her in whelp..ie can't get her to concieve/bred/pregnant. She is correct in her terminology. When a bitch "in whelp" she is pregnant. When she is "whelping" she is in the process of giving birth.

OP - Here is the thread I found from the archives about Baytril protocols:

http://pub12.bravenet.com/forum/static/show.php?usernum=976632990&frmid=4&msgid=872677&cmd=show

Sounds like the girl can't get pregnant after trying more than once perhaps. I know many in your shoes. There isn't a generic answer to your problem, but many have tried one or two antibiotics for a duration before and into very early pregnancy. Don't know if it works. I'd also rule out thyroid and Lyme disease. As another said, perhaps the extender, or the sperm from a particular dog is a problem for that girl. Good luck.

Sometimes taking her to the dog and doing a side by side stands a better chance. I did that once. Some just don't do well with chilled. After that time she did conceive using chill and had 11 pups. Never used the antibotics but know some do with success.

Confused you were confused. But some think they are in the know alot.

I'm a big believer in putting my girls on antibiotics for the two weeks prior to breeding. When I have not the result was no litter. I did do cultures, thyroid, etc and everything was fine, just no puppies with no antibiotics!

Does anyone worry about the fact that we are breeding too many bitches that can only conceive while on antibiotics? Seems wrong to me.

Maybe try a natural breeding next time. It could be that your girl cant be bred with extended semen.

I had this happen with a bitch last year. My Vet suggested I do a surgical AI with an unrelated male (not related closely to the one I had tried before).

When he did the surgical, he found she had a benign tumor covering her cervix entirely, so no semen could get in. She did whelp a litter via c-section, but unfortunately had to be spayed at the same time. There was no other way to excise tumor.

In the future, I will do surgicals anytime I know my timing was right and my bitch didn't conceive.

Best regards,

Leslee Pope
Huntcrest

Breeder
Confused you were confused. But some think they are in the know alot.

I am not sure what this is implying. I simply clarified what the OP was asking for "Confused". There was no tone and was not condescending... Was your post really needed??

Thanks for clarifying.

I thought I was missing something when the OP didn't just write "I can't get her pregnant" or "I can't get her to conceive". The different terminology had me wondering...

Well....
She can't get her in whelp..ie can't get her to concieve/bred/pregnant. She is correct in her terminology. When a bitch "in whelp" she is pregnant. When she is "whelping" she is in the process of giving birth.

Thanks all..... yes, tried thyroid, it's fine, always use progestrone testing .. . Just thought I would try the baytil .
My vet. is good ... but sometimes lacks in trying something new. Also, have tried different studs in my kennel with good semen. Oh well, not sweating over it.
She's a nice bitch, just thought I would try one more thing and then call it a day.

I second the motion to try a natural breeding.

I've never used antibiotics on my bitches before breeding.
Usually we do natural breeding here in Iceland but sometimes we have to do AI and that's always with side by side.
Good luck and I hope everything works out for you!!

Hildur, What do you do to protect the bitches from possible STDs?

While I understand wanting to try the less expensive route of antibiotics, but I have found many girls that don't conceive often have cysts which can be taken care of with an implant.