Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Color genetics

Re: Color genetics – if you breed a black carrying chocolate to a full chocolate - are black puppies ALWAYS black carrying chocolate or could some of them be a full Black (without carrying chocolate). I thought I read on this post previously that this was possible. I cannot find it now. I’m going to call DDC again on Monday to find out but thought I’d throw this out there. Thanks for your responses

Re: Color genetics

Found it on Blue Knight web site. 50% BC & 50% C
If in your experience this is incorrect please let me know. thanks

Why would it be incorrect?

BC bred to a CC will give you 50% BC and 50% CC.

One gene from BC....so take the B, and then one gene from the CC....so take a C. You have a BC.

Flip it, take the C from the BC and put it with the other C from the CC, and now you have a CC.

No other way to mix and match. You can't get a dominant black BB because the chocolate dog (CC) doesn't have a B to give.

NewbieABC
Re: Color genetics – if you breed a black carrying chocolate to a full chocolate - are black puppies ALWAYS black carrying chocolate or could some of them be a full Black (without carrying chocolate). I thought I read on this post previously that this was possible. I cannot find it now. I’m going to call DDC again on Monday to find out but thought I’d throw this out there. Thanks for your responses

One parent is Chocolate. All the offspring will carry chocolate. Period. No need to get hyper. No way the offspring could be anything else.

This is not to say that if there are 8 puppies that 4 are guaranteed to be black and 4 will be chocolate. You could have a mix.

me
Why would it be incorrect?

BC bred to a CC will give you 50% BC and 50% CC.

One gene from BC....so take the B, and then one gene from the CC....so take a C. You have a BC.

Flip it, take the C from the BC and put it with the other C from the CC, and now you have a CC.

No other way to mix and match. You can't get a dominant black BB because the chocolate dog (CC) doesn't have a B to give.