Labrador Retriever Forum

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Coat color question :)

I have been wondering about coat colors... When I bred my black girl (who's out of a yellow male and black female) to a yellow boy, she had most of her puppies yellows and few of them where black.
I bred my yellow girl (who's out of 2 yellows) to a black male (who's out of 2 blacks but is carrying yellow) and I get most puppies black with 2 yellows.
Does it matter that the black boy is out of 2 blacks but he is carrying yellow from his sire, vs. using a black boy who is out of black and yellow? Or does't it matter as long as the boys are carrying yellow?

I hope you understand my question! LOL

Re: Coat color question :)

Have you ever seen the Blue Knight Coat color chart? If not, go to their website and open it up.

Find the examples that you are speaking of and it will tell you the percentages each pup has of being a particular color.

It always helps to see a visual to understand what colors might come up.

I think what you are trying to ask, is .... does it matter how many yellows you can get depending on whether either parent are yellow, or just carry yellow, or, if the grandparents were parented by yellow or a black carrying yellow?

As long as both parents carry yellow, it is a roll of the genetic dice for each puppy, you could conceivably have all blacks or all yellows in each litter, just like you could conceivably have all males, or all females in your litter. When the sperm meets the egg, it really depends on what genetic information is contained in those individual germ cells. It is not like you may get more yellows just because one of the blacks parents was yellow vs both of them being black carrying yellow, as long as he carries yellow.

Ok thanks... and yes you got my question right!! LOL

Just think of it as a "Saturday night game of craps." Just because the statistics say you have X chance of getting what you want on a roll doesn't mean that's the way it's going to happen. I've had it go both ways. If you breed long enough, the odds will begin to even out.....if you're lucky.

Yellow girl bred to a black who carries yellow - 9 yellows and 1 black.

Two black parents who both carry yellow - first litter - 2 yellows & 2 blacks. Repeated the litter - 7 blacks & 1 yellow. First litter was 2 girls & 2 boys. Second litter was 6 boys and 2 girls.

It is all just the roll of the color coat dice. The Blue Knight site is wonderful.

Roll of the Coat Color Dice
Yellow girl bred to a black who carries yellow - 9 yellows and 1 black.

Two black parents who both carry yellow - first litter - 2 yellows & 2 blacks. Repeated the litter - 7 blacks & 1 yellow. First litter was 2 girls & 2 boys. Second litter was 6 boys and 2 girls.

It is all just the roll of the color coat dice. The Blue Knight site is wonderful.

Blue Knight charts are based on 100 pups per color combination. It is a roll of the dice.

My litter is 3 black 4 yellow and all girls. Mum & Dad are By By. I would never try to figure it out.

I also love the site and chart. Dian did a great job with it although some have stole the graphics at times. Eh hem.